Can anyone please take a look at my recipes before I try?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NameThatCandy

Reaction score
Hi there,

I check these 2 recipes thu soap cal, they seem good, but I still want you guys to take a look at them before I want.

Superfat 7%, Lye concentration 28%

Recipe #1: (32oz batch)
Olive Oil 25%
Palm 20%
Coconut 17%
Palm Kernel 15%
Almond Sweet 16%
Cocoa Butter 7%
Lye 4.52oz
Water 11.61oz

Soap Quality:
Hardness: 43
Cleansing: 21
Condition: 52
Bubbly: 21
Creamy: 22
Iodine: 54
INS: 154

Recipe #2:
Olive 50%
Palm Kernel 18%
Coconut 17%
Castor Oil 5%
Cocoa Butter 10%
Lye 4.5oz
Water 11.5oz

Soap Quality:
Hardness: 40
Cleansing: 22
Condition: 55
Bubbly: 27
Creamy: 21
Iodine: 54
INS: 152

Are they good? Should I give them a try?

Thank you in advance.

I 3rd the recommendation on the 2nd recipe. That looks like a very nice recipe, close to one of my favorite recipes. Good job. Like Shannon (Smelli) mentioned soap at a 31 to 33% lye solution rate. I see you are using soap calc.com. Go to the upper right hand side and set 31 to 33% as the lye concentration and compute the recipe. It will tell you how much water to use and of course the lye will stay the same, but the liquids will drop if using a 32 to 33% solution. I most often soap between 31 to 33% lye solution concentration rate. This is commonly referred to as "discounting" but I don't like that phrase!

Paul.... :wink:

Thank you for all the replies.

I am going to change the lye to 31%, I am a little nervous to change too much, since I am new to soap making, now I only need 10oz water.

One more question, why recipe #1 is not as good as #2? Their soap quality are very similar.

thanks again

They are both good recipes that will make a very good bar of soap. :) #2 is a little more bubbly which I personally like and the conditioning numbers are better. The reason to use a stronger lye solution is because of the larger olive oil content in the second recipe. Olive oil is one of the best conditioning oils you can use, and is the staple in 90% of all CP soap makers recipes. It does take longer for this percentage of olive oil based soap to get hard and cure out. By making a stronger lye solution, you cut trace time and cure time and have less chance for the bar to warp on you too. That are the main reasons we suggested those changes. :wink:

Paul... :wink:

I too agree with the 2nd recipe. Leave the SAO for other applications. It is wasted in soap.

Oh well thanks everyone lol.
Yes, less water, dryes quicker

Hey Paul... Im doing DWCP now!

40%! YEA ME!

smellitlikeitis said:
Oh well thanks everyone lol.
Yes, less water, dryes quicker

Hey Paul... Im doing DWCP now!

40%! YEA ME!

Wow, Shannan, that is cool! I have not attempted a batch that strong yet. I generally go between 31 to 33% ans that allows me to add my goat milk in to bring my solution down from 50%....kudos to you. I bet you don't try that on florals though. :lol: :lol: Tell me how it works with a 40% solution, Shannan! What FO's or is it EO's you are using?

Paul

That second recipe looks very nice, I love the conditioning score. One of these days I will be brave enough to try a 40% solution. But until then, I stick with the 30%:)

Back