can anyone let me know if i can proceed with the recipe

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kalpanaganesan

Reaction score
I have formulated a recipe using sesame oil and other oils as iam a beginner.earlier i made soap and it was too soft and not holding shape.hence i revised the recipe to see if i could get a firmer bar.I have attached the soap calc sheet.I would be happy if someone could comment on my recipe so that i can try a new batch.Also if you could let me the approximate curing time also i will be happy.Iam from India.I use 40% lye concentration,make bar soap.No fragrance added.I prefer using wild turmeric powder for color.

Attachments

• soap recipe.pdf
    124.6 KB · Views: 22
this recipe will feel nice but also take a long time to fully cure

the sesame oil will keep the soap soft
the olive oil will feel soft at the start but get very hard after a long cure

your lye concentration is good for this amount of soft (liquid) oils
the water will need to be very pure - this recipe will be sensitive to rancidity

maybe reduce your superfat and add a small amount of salt to harden
(superfat to 1%, salt at about 1 teaspoon per pound or half kilogram of oils)

you could add some sort of sugar for more bubbles but this can increase the sensitivity to rancidity
sugar can be replaced with honey or other sugary ingredients (jaggery is nice but it does add colour to the soap)

salt makes the soap brittle and hard, sugar makes the soap flexible and soft ... a balancing act for these ingredients ;)

You have a lot of liquid oils in you soap. That could lead to a softer bar. As mentioned above, soaps with olive oil take longer to harden.

Last edited:
Cure time is more than just about water evaporation...it's a bout the magic (science) what happens to the soap on a monocular level that over time, produces a good quality bar of soap.

Your recipe is 80% Soft Oils over all and 55% Olive Pomace...that much means that you're looking at an extended cure time...I'd say 12 weeks at least.

Recommended usage for Sesame Oil is 10%, I'd drop it down and add the 10% to Palm. Might even drop the Olive down 5% and add that to Palm or Coconut as well...shave a couple of weeks off cure time.

this recipe will feel nice but also take a long time to fully cure

the sesame oil will keep the soap soft
the olive oil will feel soft at the start but get very hard after a long cure

your lye concentration is good for this amount of soft (liquid) oils
the water will need to be very pure - this recipe will be sensitive to rancidity

maybe reduce your superfat and add a small amount of salt to harden
(superfat to 1%, salt at about 1 teaspoon per pound or half kilogram of oils)

you could add some sort of sugar for more bubbles but this can increase the sensitivity to rancidity
sugar can be replaced with honey or other sugary ingredients (jaggery is nice but it does add colour to the soap)

salt makes the soap brittle and hard, sugar makes the soap flexible and soft ... a balancing act for these ingredients ;)
Thanks for your reply.How about replacing sesame oil with ground nut oil(Peanut oil).will that be fine

I like Peanut oil in soap
it is better than sesame in my opinion
peanut oil is nice in a blend (for people without nut allergies)

Cure time is more than just about water evaporation...it's a bout the magic (science) what happens to the soap on a monocular level that over time, produces a good quality bar of soap.

Your recipe is 80% Soft Oils over all and 55% Olive Pomace...that much means that you're looking at an extended cure time...I'd say 12 weeks at least.

Recommended usage for Sesame Oil is 10%, I'd drop it down and add the 10% to Palm. Might even drop the Olive down 5% and add that to Palm or Coconut as well...shave a couple of weeks off cure time.
Many thanks for your reply.
Do you mean to revise my recipe to 50% olive oil,15%palm oil,20%coconut oil,5%sesame oil,5% castor oil.

I like Peanut oil in soap
it is better than sesame in my opinion
peanut oil is nice in a blend (for people without nut allergies)
Many thanks for your reply.May i replace 20% sesame oil in my recipe with 20%peanut oil.

Many thanks for your reply.May i replace 20% sesame oil in my recipe with 20%peanut oil.
i personally prefer peanut oil over sesame, so that's a yes from me

if you lower the peanut oil and replace that with a hard oil or butter (eg. 5% to 10% cocoa butter) your soap will feel silky (from the peanut) and last longer (from the cocoa)

Latest posts

Back