Can an FO affect skin feel?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So, I made three batches in one night. The grand finale was the craptastic Misbehaving FO Walks Into a Bar. All 3 batches were identical recipes, identical steps and measures, the same temperature environment, and all 3 snuggled up together in the same oven for cpop.

It's been a few days now... that's when I start testing my bars for "feel". I wash my hands to ensure I have adequate lather (I know it will improve with time) and a good feel on the skin after drying. Not too dry, not too slimy. I've got about a dozen batches of this recipe under my belt at this point, and I know what to expect in the early days.

Of all the bars I made that night, ONE makes my skin feel "squeaky clean" and leaves my hands feeling dry (like I need to moisturize) after. The other two are the same ol' reliable awesomeness (seriously... making your own soap and controlling all the factors you care about is AWESOME, it's like having nordic godly powers... just... with soap).

I'll give you three guesses as to which one is the problem child. 😂 😂 😂

So. Either I made a boo-boo (who... me? 🤔) or, the Misbehaving FO went out for a night on the town. Given it's the only obvious variable, I finger-waggle at the FO. But, I have also resigned to accepting that all soapy roads do not eventually lead to Rome. (and I was drinking wine all along, so... there's that 🍷:dance:)

So.... wisdom hive.... any thoughts?

Thank you!!!

Last edited:
@DeeAnna Thanks!

The acceleration was obscene, but nothing I haven't experienced before with other FOs, and had perfectly lovely, albeit ugly, bars.

I'll have to chalk this one up to the wine gods interfering with the soap gods! I must've made a mistake somewhere along the way. Live and learn!

Have a very very merry one!!!

@lsg Hmmm, thats interesting. I have pretty bulletproof skin, but as one ages (cough cough), I suppose things can change.

I also noticed that this bar is leaving brown stains on paper towels, which is a new one for me. Knowing the FO would discolor to a dark chocolate brown, I didn't add any coloring agent, just nekked batter with the FO, so it's the FO itself causing the staining. Shame, I really liked this FO, but its appears to be problematic on multiple levels. Le sigh.

Merry Merry, everyone!

Edited to add photographic evidence of the offender. I generally start testing my bars about 10 days out, and when I'm done washing my hands with them for a few days, I let them dry on paper towels until they're rotated into shower/kitchen duty. I was pretty surprised to find this staining on the paper towels. A first for me.

Also attached is a photo of the first cut 12 hours after the pour (typical for me). The interior still shows the neon-yellow the batter changed to instantly. Shame, I love the dark chocolate brown color, and love the fragrance. I was really hoping to find a way to create a dark brown color in soap that wouldn't color the lather.

Live, learn and soap on!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-12-23 at 3.11.35 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-12-23 at 3.11.35 PM.png
    4.1 MB · Views: 0
  • Screen Shot 2022-12-23 at 3.12.30 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-12-23 at 3.12.30 PM.png
    2.9 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
I just now washed my hands with the bar in the photo, and the lather is a ghastly baby-poo green brown. 🤮 I'm rubbing some of my shea lip balm onto the backs of my hands to counteract the dryness. I guess I'll have to grate these bars up and rebatch them somehow to temper their misbehavior.

Regarding a review, I just may do that, but for the benefit of the supplier, I'll wait a few weeks to see if anything changes.

Using SMF as a confessional :p : After my very first FO-related soap-on-a-stick incident, I was like 🤯🤯🤯. The next day, by happenstance, I received a solicitation for feedback from the FO supplier, so I left an unflattering 3-star review. I admit I was wet behind the ears and raging mad at having spoiled a batch of oils, not to mention my time.

8 weeks later, friends loved the craggy sad-looking bar, the scent was phenomenal, and the bar amazing on the skin. I remembered my less-than-stellar review and felt shameful. I like to think the suppliers are just doing their best and are small biz owners scrapping by, just like me (I'm not in the soap biz, to be clear).

So I returned to the supplier's site with my tail tucked and left a reciprocating 5-star review but still was clear about the massive acceleration and discoloration. I also bought more of the FO as a good gesture.

FOs are tricky to buy online. It's so subjective. I'm sure some of these small retailers live and die by every review they get. OTOH it's the only way for a buyer to evaluate their purchase and then invest their time and money in supplies to trial the product. It is best for the buying community to know the ups and downs of a FO.

So, I will offer my honest feedback as a review in a few weeks time to ensure that all the wrongs that are happening now are still happening after a reasonable (5 week) cure time.... as you all have shown me what can happen with just a little cure time!

Merry Merry!

Last edited:
Never underestimate the power of a little wine! Don't ask how I know.

Almost all of my favorite FO's turn brown, but I've never had any of them add color to my soap dish. Only with color or charcoal powder have I had my soaps run or bleed into a washcloth. I have totally embraced the brown or whatever natural color my soaps come out. Orange and black suds is not my favorite thing to see in my shower!

I did have one that had ground lavender buds in it decide to change color when I cut it, but after a bit it changed back to the same color as the loaf in time. The loaf was a dark tan but when cut the slices would have a dark tan crust and a very definite gray evenly though the soap. Within a few days they turned the nice even dark tan again. And I cut one of the thicker pieces in half and there was a slight gray on the inside of that piece, so it had to have something to do with oxidation. BTW ground lavender buds do not impart even the tiniest bit of odor to your soap!

Have a very merry holiday. PS I loved your very good descriptions of your naughty soap and your misbehaving FO's Wish I could write like that! You have taken me out of my Bah Humbug stage today! Thanks

Back