Can a few of you help me please?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Am I correct in assuming that the coffee bar is the only soap you have for sale now? And you have no perfumes in stock (yet)?

The tinctures look interesting but I do not know anything about tinctures or how they should be used. Is it possible to put information like that online? Or would you run afoul of the FDA if you did so?

Scooter

Am I correct in assuming that the coffee bar is the only soap you have for sale now? And you have no perfumes in stock (yet)?

The tinctures look interesting but I do not know anything about tinctures or how they should be used. Is it possible to put information like that online? Or would you run afoul of the FDA if you did so?

Scooter

She'd probably have to word things very carefully. Tinctures are very potent herbal remedies if memory serves me right.

OP, so far the site looks good. Good luck.

This is strictly a personal pet peeve, so take this as my issue, please.

I do not like sites that make me hunt through several tabs before I see products. If I click something that says "soap", I want to see soap. Not read about how it was made or other info. If I want to read all the other stuff, I click "about".

Other than that, it looks fine. All the additions to the cart worked, I did not spot any spelling errors (although I did not do a thorough check).

I like the website. It is attractive and easy to navigate. One thing I would suggest at a quick glance is to replace the + signs with the word 'and'. I think it is fine to leave it as is on the product page (as product name). Also this is just a big pet peeve of mine so the general public might not even notice. The other change I would recommend is either adding a few bottles to the picture of the soaps in the bathing beauty photo, or creating separate photos. I, of course, clicked on the soaps first and was surprised to see product in bottles instead. Your soaps are lovely BTW. And the cart seemed to work.

I am by no means an expert, but I have done a lot of proof reading and would be happy to help if I can. I did notice some things that I would change, but this post is probably long enough. PM me with your email if you want more help from me.

I do not like sites that make me hunt through several tabs before I see products. If I click something that says "soap", I want to see soap. Not read about how it was made or other info. If I want to read all the other stuff, I click "about".

Other than that, it looks fine. All the additions to the cart worked, I did not spot any spelling errors (although I did not do a thorough check).

Ditto everything Susie said. I thought it was a nice looking site but I felt like it was supposed to be, first and foremost, a store. So when I clicked on "soap" I wanted to see the soap you had for sale.

Scooter

Please, go to my website and poke around. Put stuff in your cart. Look for spelling errors, and report back? www.mayamadesoap.com

I'll love you FOREVER! TY!

On your perfume and cologne page, I noticed a couple of typos. In the first paragraph, second line... absolutes is missing an s. In the second paragraph, petrochemicals has an extra r. Those are the only glaring things I noticed.

Very pretty site, by the way.

Scooter

The coffee one is the only soap up right now, correct. Yes, the F.D.A pays limits the language I can use to describe herbal medicine. And yes, the perfumes are not yet in stock on my website. I have to transfer the photos and info from Etsy and as I am sure you know, these things take time.

Thank you!

She'd probably have to word things very carefully. Tinctures are very potent herbal remedies if memory serves me right.

OP, so far the site looks good. Good luck.

VERY. Thank you!

That is a really good point and it did cross my mind for a minute. I bet I can change things around so the SOAP tab has soap listings on it. I'll try it and see what I think. Thank you!

Thank you everyone. I appreciate the feedback.

On your perfume and cologne page, I noticed a couple of typos. In the first paragraph, second line... absolutes is missing an s. In the second paragraph, petrochemicals has an extra r. Those are the only glaring things I noticed.

Very pretty site, by the way.

Thank you! I am an atrocious speller. I really appreciate the help.

First of all, I love the look of your website, the colors the graphics, I'm definitely drawn to the overall look. If I ran across your site by accident, I'd definitely be taking a further look. The photographs of your products are also very nice. I found it easy enough to navigate, although I thought the "shop" tab should maybe take me to categories to choose from, instead of a page with lots of mixed items.

As for typos and others...On the perfume page, "mayamde's perfume + cologne" (missing an "a")
"No petrochemicals, no fragrance oils, just plants, flowers + magic". Maybe it's just me, but the "magic" bugs me. Seems kind of hokey. I'd prefer something like "years of studying aromatherapy."
On the soap page, at the bottom of the paragraph mayamade is again missing an "a"..."mayamde". On the contact page under "privacy policy" the date "March 12h" should have a "t" in there. "mayamde will retain only the information" (missing that "a" again). I have to admit the plus sign used in place of the word "and" every time, gets to me, too. And I know what Carolyn means by that "dead pink turkey"...I kept asking myself, "What the heck is that thing???" But overall, a very attractive website.

P.S. Found a couple more typos... These products are not intended to diagnose, cure, or treat any disease or aliment. (ailment) Consult your health care practitioner before starting any health care regiment. (regimen)

Last edited:
I looked at your soap listing on Etsy and I have to say I like the bullet-point listing style better. Also I would rename the "Soap" tab "About Us". Calling it soap makes me think it is where I go to see your listings. Perhaps just my personal preference but it is my two cents.

Last edited:
where is the link to website???????? found it and hate the way you need to click so many times to find something

I like the website. It is attractive and easy to navigate. One thing I would suggest at a quick glance is to replace the + signs with the word 'and'. I think it is fine to leave it as is on the product page (as product name). Also this is just a big pet peeve of mine so the general public might not even notice. The other change I would recommend is either adding a few bottles to the picture of the soaps in the bathing beauty photo, or creating separate photos. I, of course, clicked on the soaps first and was surprised to see product in bottles instead. Your soaps are lovely BTW. And the cart seemed to work.

I am by no means an expert, but I have done a lot of proof reading and would be happy to help if I can. I did notice some things that I would change, but this post is probably long enough. PM me with your email if you want more help from me.

Ditto everything Susie said. I thought it was a nice looking site but I felt like it was supposed to be, first and foremost, a store. So when I clicked on "soap" I wanted to see the soap you had for sale.

Scooter

I really hate all the plus signs and the minus signs on page one. Not sure what the pink thing above sitting on the top of the paper on the Perfume and cologne page. Sorry but to me it looks like a dead pink turkey, I am sure it has a meaning but it is not to pretty

First of all, I love the look of your website, the colors the graphics, I'm definitely drawn to the overall look. If I ran across your site by accident, I'd definitely be taking a further look. The photographs of your products are also very nice. I found it easy enough to navigate, although I thought the "shop" tab should maybe take me to categories to choose from, instead of a page with lots of mixed items.

As for typos and others...On the perfume page, "mayamde's perfume + cologne" (missing an "a")
"No petrochemicals, no fragrance oils, just plants, flowers + magic". Maybe it's just me, but the "magic" bugs me. Seems kind of hokey. I'd prefer something like "years of studying aromatherapy."
On the soap page, at the bottom of the paragraph mayamade is again missing an "a"..."mayamde". On the contact page under "privacy policy" the date "March 12h" should have a "t" in there. "mayamde will retain only the information" (missing that "a" again). I have to admit the plus sign used in place of the word "and" every time, gets to me, too. And I know what Carolyn means by that "dead pink turkey"...I kept asking myself, "What the heck is that thing???" But overall, a very attractive website.

P.S. Found a couple more typos... These products are not intended to diagnose, cure, or treat any disease or aliment. (ailment) Consult your health care practitioner before starting any health care regiment. (regimen)

I looked at your soap listing on Etsy and I have to say I like the bullet-point listing style better. Also I would rename the "Soap" tab "About Us". Calling it soap makes me think it is where I go to see your listings. Perhaps just my personal preference but it is my two cents.

where is the link to website???????? found it and hate the way you need to click so many times to find something

EVERYONE THANK YOU! Thank you so much! I really appreciate your input. I will be correcting the errors asap. I really do appreciate the help. LOVE.

I really hate all the plus signs and the minus signs on page one. Not sure what the pink thing above sitting on the top of the paper on the Perfume and cologne page. Sorry but to me it looks like a dead pink turkey, I am sure it has a meaning but it is not to pretty

It's an animal skull, my guess is deer. I think it's a reference to the desert, which she mentions on one of her pages. But she is in Minneapolis, so kind of weird.

Maya, it really looks like you spent more time picking out pretty clip art and taking pretty pictures than actually thinking about the function of your page. Form should follow function.

It's an animal skull, my guess is deer. I think it's a reference to the desert, which she mentions on one of her pages. But she is in Minneapolis, so kind of weird.

Maya, it really looks like you spent more time picking out pretty clip art and taking pretty pictures than actually thinking about the function of your page. Form should follow function.
LOL, I will buy the animal skull, but Pink..... I might have thought of that if she lived in Arizona, or some other desert. Still looks like a dead turkey :)

Forgot to mention on the soap page, which I agree should be soaps not an about soap. Very few customers know or care what the process is. Sometimes to much information is not good. I also would not describe the process of making the tincture. Keep it simple. You are giving enough info for them to make their own.

And it super bugs me that mayamade is spelled with a lower case m. In my opinion, which does not always mean much, is a huge grammatical error. When you use the name in reference to your company it is impossible to distinguish it as the company. I noticed in some descriptions your company name referenced.

Last edited:
Are you using a drag 'n drop builder for this or are you writing your own HTML and CSS and using a cart plugin? I'm not going to comment on your products (except that others are right, when I clicked on the products in the navigation, I kind of expected to be taken to the storefront for them).

I also do not like all the + signs, not even a little bit. It makes it look lazy, like you couldn't take the time to type out the word "and". In regards to the pink skull, if you are marketing towards vegans, why would you have any kind of skull on your site?

I've only looked at the soap description and it sounds pretty good but I'm not sure you really need to explain the fatty acids, your general consumer won't know what it means or care. I would be careful using words like moisturizing too, that can put your soap in the realm of cosmetics and they are regulated.

Your pictures are nice but again, please ditch the neon pink skull. your products would look nicer against something natural like a nice slice of pretty wood and maybe a spray of greenery or some autumn leaves.

On your about page, I think you use your name too often. For example "mayamade's formulas are based in a time honored tradition using modern techniques and knowledge. Whenever possible mayamade uses organic, fair trade, biodynamic, wild harvested ingredients providing you with the best soap and apothecary items."

could become this and not sound so repetitive
"mayamade's formulas are based in a time honored tradition using modern techniques and knowledge. Whenever possible we/I use organic, fair trade, biodynamic, wild harvested ingredients providing you with the best soap and apothecary items."

Since you are speaking about yourself and your company, its ok to use I or we once in awhile. I'd also capitalize Mayamade since its a proper noun.

I can tell you've put much time into your site! It's a process, just like anything else!

I did notice a couple of things during a quick glance -- "mayamade is also at various popup shops + art fairs around the twin cities are." ... area missing an "a" ... I know you're not using capital letters on proper nouns, but it might look better for the name of a city that includes two words, my opinion anyway! On another page, there is "regiment" -- should be regimen. Best of luck with your new site!

P.S. I see someone already noted regimen, but I wanted to add that I couldn't understand the pink object either.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back