Can a few of you help me please?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The site is pretty and eye catching.

I agree with what some others have said about the plus signs. Stylistically, I like them for category headers and product names, not to replace the word 'and' in paragraphs, product descriptions, etc. I think the -dash- separating your category descriptions is unnecessary and a little distracting as well.

I think the site would flow much better if you had your 'about mayamade' category include your information about soaps, herbal products, and perfumes. (Instead of having them individually listed in sections where people expect to find products.)

Then your product categories can lead to listings for those items...or clean it up even more and just have the categories broken down under the shop section. I think it is easier to shop categories, rather than a random mix of items.

"An infused oil is really simply to make, very basic directions are fill a small mason jar with the herb you want, for instance Arnica, fill with a skin loving oil, I like olive oil. Let set in a dark cupboard for about six weeks. Strain, reserving the oil and use the oil as a muscle oil." If an infused oil is a product you are selling, I would omit this.
"I have detailed directions on how to make these on my blog." Again, no need to change anything on your blog, but I wouldn't make a statement like this on your site. These statements say "these are easy to make" rather than "these are expertly crafted, buy them from me."

"A glycerites is a non alcohol tincture made with glycerin. A fluid extraction of herbal components." Should be glycerite?

"None of mayamade's products have not been evaluated by the F.D.A. These products are not intended to diagnose, cure, or treat any disease or aliment. Consult your health care practitioner before starting any health care regiment. They are for informational and historical purposes only." First sentence is a double negative, use one or the other. Also your picture is partially covering this disclaimer. A couple misspellings.

"A salve or balm is an herbally infused oil made solid with a wax, I use a vegan wax or locally source beeswax to solidify the herbal oil. I frequently add essential oils to salves for their properties." sourced

"My potions are organic or wildcrafted (meaning wild found, from the woods to the desert, where ever I am.) when ever possible, never treated with chemical fertilizers, pesticides, herbicides, or irradiated." wherever and whenever, omit the period in parentheses...
Here's how I would change this sentence:
"My potions are organic or wildcrafted (meaning wild found, from the woods to the desert, wherever I am) whenever possible and never treated with chemical fertilizers, pesticides, herbicides, or irradiated." Or wild harvested or foraged are nice terms.

"mayamade soap is created in (with) what is known as the cold process method. Cold process means extra heat isn't applied to the soap except to melt the oils and butters. It means that the scents I use have a chance to stick around, the oils and butters and (have the) opportunity to really nourish your skin and the organic botanicals (to) do their thing."

"I* think of it as getting ready for a party,(period) (new sentence After)after the cure, each bar should last between one and six months."

"Factors (affecting longevity include) like(unnecessary) using a wash cloth or other bathing scrubbie, allowing the soap to dry between uses, not leaving soap in the bathtub and of course trading back and forth between two or three bars, giving the soap a rest between uses."

" If you are storing mayamde soap please do not store it in a warm, humid place,(period, new sentence) try your dresser drawer it will lightly and beautifully scent your clothing."

I didn't look through individual listings much, but my advice would be to watch the run-on sentences with lots of commas. It can be hard to follow and information overload. Periods are your friend.

Hope those notes made sense and were helpful. Overall, it is looking good.

So nice for people to honestly evaluate, really good suggestions too. I'd like to comment on this one though so we can have a semicolon debate, lol. I think rather than a period, it should be a semicolon.

" If you are storing mayamde soap please do not store it in a warm, humid place,(period, new sentence) try your dresser drawer it will lightly and beautifully scent your clothing."

Thank you! I so much appreciate the honest and constructive feedback. I corrected the spelling and grammar errors and I removed the dead pink turkey. Lol. I also really appreciate the compliments.

Yep, a semicolon would be appropriate.

I was about to do a whole proof read with suggestions, but you got everything I noted. Thank you!

One further thing I would do is avoid this claim so you don't go afoul the FDA:

It means that the scents I use have a chance to stick around,the oils and butters and opportunity to really nourish your skin and the organic botanicals do their thing.

K. I took out the nourishing claim, and hid the pages you all suggested that I form into one page. When I can get it done, I'll combine them into one page. I put the about page and the calendar and contact page as one.

Again, thank you everyone for the help.

I took a look at the site, too. Although I understand the advice to capitalize "mayamade" in the site because of the personal pronoun status, I would not. That is your trademark or logo. That's what people are going to associate you and your company with: mayamade--in lowercase letters. What I would do, however, is change the "mayamade" in the body of the text to the same font you are using on your product labels or the cursive writing on the website. I noticed that the name "mayamade" on your labels is in different fonts. You might want to stick to one font for "mayamade" throughout all of your products and the website. That way, it will easily and distinctly be recognized as YOU.

I do agree with everyone on the use of the + instead of spelling out "and."

I took a look at the site, too. Although I understand the advice to capitalize "mayamade" in the site because of the personal pronoun status, I would not. That is your trademark or logo. That's what people are going to associate you and your company with: mayamade--in lowercase letters. What I would do, however, is change the "mayamade" in the body of the text to the same font you are using on your product labels or the cursive writing on the website. I noticed that the name "mayamade" on your labels is in different fonts. You might want to stick to one font for "mayamade" throughout all of your products and the website. That way, it will easily and distinctly be recognized as YOU.

I do agree with everyone on the use of the + instead of spelling out "and."

I like that! I am working on changing a couple of things around. I FINALLY got labels done, yet again, that I really like so of course I want to change them around again. lol.

Back