Camp Fire, Paradise CA

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paulie

Reaction score
Hello Fellow Soapers,

I am from Paradise CA, and my parents lost our home and my sister lost her home. They are now living in a motel in Chico and have been since November 8th, when our town burnt down. There are so many homeless living in tents, even an 85 year old woman. It's so sad there. At least my parents and sister had insurance, many did not.

My sister has been volunteering at a non-profit since December called Curvy Gurlz, a boutique for women. The clothes are used, some are new. They have an area of good "free" clothes for the Camp Fire victims. Most if not everyone only had time to get out with the clothes on their backs. I know my family didn't even grab their coats.

This is getting longer than I wanted :). I was thinking of making soap (full size and free) and putting it in the shop my sister volunteers at, she will know when they are victims as they get a discount when showing ID. My problem is scent. I want to make one that will be a great scent for the whole family.

Please help me with a good scent or scents. I want to have a little bit of a variety, to start I was thinking of Spellbound Woods from BB. Can you all tell me what you think would be good? I would so appreciate it and value your expertise.

Help please :)

Here is my beautiful sister:

CURVY GURLZ Chico is with Tammy at The M.A.D.I.A. Project.
Yesterday at 1:34 PM · Chico, CA ·
I would like to take this time to say how much I adore and appreciate this woman!!! Tammy came into the boutique at the end of December as a fire survivor. She saw we were seeking volunteers and wanted to help. Even though she suffered the loss of her home and possessions, she felt the compassion to volunteer her time to help others! She is wonderful and a huge asset to our boutique and nonprofit! Thank you Tammy for your selfless dedication to help make a difference

Last edited:
Vanilla FO which will discolor, but is still a great fragrance. Lavender EO or FO, water FO, citrus FO. I think all of these are pretty generic scents.

Vanilla FO which will discolor, but is still a great fragrance. Lavender EO or FO, water FO, citrus FO. I think all of these are pretty generic scents.
Thank you, I appreciate it. Vanilla is always a great fragrance.

Paulie, have you made soap before? Do you have some fragrance oils on hand? (you asked about Spellbound) Do you have a list of what you have on hand? If so - with the names we might be able to help more.

I agree that citrus scents (citrus essential oils fade a lot, lemongrass and litsea stick better), lavender, vanilla, are like by a lot of people - male and female.

Perhaps a typical soap type of scent - like one you would find in the grocery store. Fresh Bamboo, dupes of Irish Spring.

I have the utmost compassion for the people of Paradise. I live in northern San Diego county and have experienced some of the instant chaos from fires. But the Camp fire was a whole new species of fire - Hell's temper tantrum. I'm so sorry.

Oh - rosemary mint is popular too. Even the Julian soap shop has to keep that and eucalyptus mint in stock at all times. She says the Californians least favorite fragrances are foodie ones, and prefer herbals more.

Paulie, have you made soap before? Do you have some fragrance oils on hand? (you asked about Spellbound) Do you have a list of what you have on hand? If so - with the names we might be able to help more.

I agree that citrus scents (citrus essential oils fade a lot, lemongrass and litsea stick better), lavender, vanilla, are like by a lot of people - male and female.

Perhaps a typical soap type of scent - like one you would find in the grocery store. Fresh Bamboo, dupes of Irish Spring.

I have the utmost compassion for the people of Paradise. I live in northern San Diego county and have experienced some of the instant chaos from fires. But the Camp fire was a whole new species of fire - Hell's temper tantrum. I'm so sorry.

Oh - rosemary mint is popular too. Even the Julian soap shop has to keep that and eucalyptus mint in stock at all times. She says the Californians least favorite fragrances are foodie ones, and prefer herbals more.
Hi LenaRenee, yes, I've been making soap since 2002. I do have Made to Measure Type, Cherry Almond and Chamomile Bergamot, all FO's from BB. I might just start with those, great idea. I don't know why I didn't think of that LOL. I do want to make soap that is scented differently from the stores, I want it to be special for them and know they are in my thoughts and prayers.

I love San Diego, used to live in Harbison Canyon and went to school in Alpine. We'd go to Julian to get our bread from the bakery there :). Back in the 60 & 70's :). I'm sorry you have had to deal with fire too. It's just horrible. Thankfully, my family is in the middle of purchasing a home, one for all of them. It will be great to get out of the motel.

I love the thought of rosemary mint and eucalyptus mint, they both sound great. I think I will work on those once my stash is gone. Thank you so much for replying, I really appreciate it.

My brother & SIL lost their house in Paradise as well. My brother has been removing debris to clear the land. They haven't decided if they will rebuild with the insurance money or sell the land and buy elsewhere.

Regarding what scents to use, what do you have on hand and what do you like yourself in your own soap? I would go with that to start. If you want to buy new fragrances, then I would suggest Dragon's Blood. Although it discolors to a darker color, you can work around that if you want a fabulous smelling scent that lasts and lasts. I personally love and so do many people I have given it to, some in fact keep at least one bar unused just so they can enjoy the fragrance.

My brother & SIL lost their house in Paradise as well. My brother has been removing debris to clear the land. They haven't decided if they will rebuild with the insurance money or sell the land and buy elsewhere.

Regarding what scents to use, what do you have on hand and what do you like yourself in your own soap? I would go with that to start. If you want to buy new fragrances, then I would suggest Dragon's Blood. Although it discolors to a darker color, you can work around that if you want a fabulous smelling scent that lasts and lasts. I personally love and so do many people I have given it to, some in fact keep at least one bar unused just so they can enjoy the fragrance.
Hi Earlene, I'm so sorry your brother and SIL lost their home too! It's so sad. I hope they are able to make a decision soon, for their own peace of mind. I know with my parents and sister buying a place it has really lifted them up, to be able to get out of the motel soon. My Dad is still going to build on our property, just need FEMA in there to start the cleanup.

I currently have Made To Measure Type, Cherry Almond and Chamomile Bergamot FO's. I'm going to start with those, lenarenee reminded me I can use what I have on hand, didn't even think of it! (memory problems LOL) I LOVE Dragon's Blood. I made a loaf with it years ago for a guy on a baseball team, they were into spells and he used it to rub on his mitt! LOL. I remember it discoloring, so I made part of it black and unscented part of it and colored it a deep blood red. Dragon's Blood and Neroli & Shea Blossom FO's. I think I will do Monkey Farts from MMS too.

Love and Gods' Blessings to you and your family Earlene. I'm sure you are helping them alot. Ohh, have your SIL go to Curvy Gurlz and ask for my sister Tammy, if she needs to talk, Tammy will listen and won't interject her own experience. My sister is wonderful and will help her find clothing and listen.

0223192113.jpg First soap going to the boutique. Fragrance is cherry almond, color is green mica with some on top :).

How long has it cured? I like the shade of green.
Thank you Earlene. The color is Apple Moss Green Mica. I just made it yesterday. :) It has a couple of weeks to cure. Hope your brother and SIL are doing well.

Last edited:
Thank you Earlene. The color is Apple Moss Green Mica. I just made it yesterday. :) It has a couple of weeks to cure. Hope your brother and SIL are doing well.

I made a peppermint and eucalyptus eo mix half and half in a soap and that and spearmint have had loads of nice comments by people. Think they are very family friendly scent although not sure about some eo in soap being kid safe? Cherry almond sounds like one iv got called bakewell tart that smells exactly like the cakes smells awesome.

Im in england not america and wzsnt aware of these fires was it a forest fire? We had a lot of issues with fires up in the moors locally unfortunately it was arson that caused it but didnt claim any lives or leave anyone homeless. Sorry to hear about your relitives that have been devistated by these fires hope things get back to normal soon for people effected by it. The effort you are putting in im sure wont go unnoticed by those in need at a difficult and challenging time

I made a peppermint and eucalyptus eo mix half and half in a soap and that and spearmint have had loads of nice comments by people. Think they are very family friendly scent although not sure about some eo in soap being kid safe? Cherry almond sounds like one iv got called bakewell tart that smells exactly like the cakes smells awesome.

Im in england not america and wzsnt aware of these fires was it a forest fire? We had a lot of issues with fires up in the moors locally unfortunately it was arson that caused it but didnt claim any lives or leave anyone homeless. Sorry to hear about your relitives that have been devistated by these fires hope things get back to normal soon for people effected by it. The effort you are putting in im sure wont go unnoticed by those in need at a difficult and challenging time

Thank you Chris_S. Yes, this was a fire that burned our town down as well as 1/2 the town I lived in among others. 15k+ homes and 260+ businesses burned and 85 people killed. Very devastating. 56k people were displaced. I'm so sorry about the fires in the moors, hopefully they find the culprit.

I'm hoping the recipients find a little joy in their soap. I love making it. Making more tonight with Chamomile Bergamont fragrance :). Decided to use my 3# mold, bars are nearly 8 oz! Had to cut them in half!

Last edited by a moderator:
Back