Camera Recs - DSLR

SoapMakingForum

Help Support SoapMakingForum:

osso

Reaction score
Early next month I'll be ready to purchase a new DSLR. I have been looking at the Canon T5i and T6i because I have liked the Canon models I've used in the past. Anybody have any experience or recommendations to offer?

I am interested in using it for taking photos of my kiddos, outdoor/nature type photos and also soap/product photos. I have some basic photography knowledge and still learning, looking in the under $1000 range.

The Efficacious Gentleman

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
I am a Nikon fan. Unless you're invested in the brand (have lenses) I would look at Nikon. The skin tones are wonderful and the old Nikon problem of terrible low-light abilities are now sorted out.

Check out comparison websites and see what Nikon have in the price range you are looking at, as well as products that a similar to the two models you were looking at.

DeeAnna

Reaction score
I'm very fond of my Nikon cameras, but I have a friend who refuses to consider anything but Canon. Different strokes for different folks!

Ken Rockwell is my go-to resource for all things camera: http://www.kenrockwell.com/index.htm
Ken doesn't sell cameras; if he doesn't like something, he says so. He's also realistic about what a person really needs in a camera vs. getting overwhelmed by the specs.

dixiedragon

Reaction score
In my photography classes we call them "Canonites" and "Nikonians". And there's always one person with a Sony or an Olympus. I tend to lean towards Nikon b/c they make lenses for a wide range of things - microscopes to hunting rifles to telescopes - and that benefits their camera lenses.

kchaystack

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree with Effy - if you have already started buying lenses stay with that brand. Unless the lenses are completely incomparable to new camera - a rare situation. They will usually work fine in manual mode as long as they fit the body.

I am also a Nikon fan. I have a 5100D and really enjoy it. I am not sure what the latest model is - but they usually have one in the 600 - 800 range.

lsg

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
I have an older Olympua camera that I really like. It is easy to use and takes great pictures and even very short video clips.

osso

Reaction score
Thanks everyone, I appreciate the input.

And thanks for that link DeeAnna, it's incredibly helpful!

Latest posts