Camel Fat Soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HoliHealerz

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I always benefit from all the help you share here but I have never posted. I am quite new to all this soapy stuff. Only under 4 months. However, I do make my base with about or over 80% tallow usually and have incorporated 25% camel fat. Its very conditioning and the bubbles are great even without any coconut oil and castor. Now I use both castor and coconut less than 5% CO and even less castor, but it was both cleansing and bubbly without. Not only that but I did read somewhere that camel can be substituted for coconut oil but they didn't say where. So I thought I will try out 100% camel and let you all know how it goes. In addition, it makes an amazing and silky cream. Thank you for sharing the vinegar tip, can I add silica gel at this point too? Thanks in advance. @Holi_Healerz.

Wow, all very interesting. I am not sure that camel fat is readily available where I live, but if I ever see any at a good price, based on your review, I'll be sure to nab some. :)

I've never added silica gel to my soap, so while we are waiting for someone else to chime in on that, would you mind sharing the purpose of adding silica gel to CP soap? Thanks, and welcome!

The lack of camel fat where I live gives me the hump..........

Edit - of course many oils can give a bubbly bar that gets you clean, which is why the terms on the soap calcs can be very misleading. A single oil soap with a cleansing of 0 on a calc will still very much get you clean. Would be interesting to play with some camel fat

Carolyn ( @cmzaha ) has made soap with camel fat, if I recall correctly. Perhaps she will share her perspective.

What are the benefits of adding silica gel to soap? That's a new one for me.

edit: I have heard of sodium silicate being used in soap as a filler and to increase detergency (cleaning power), but sodium silicate is not the same thing as silica gel.

Last edited:
Wow, all very interesting. I am not sure that camel fat is readily available where I live, but if I ever see any at a good price, based on your review, I'll be sure to nab some. :)

I've never added silica gel to my soap, so while we are waiting for someone else to chime in on that, would you mind sharing the purpose of adding silica gel to CP soap? Thanks, and welcome!
Hello, thank you for responding to my post. Yes, silica gel is a substance that is found naturally in our body wjen young but then dwindles as we get into our twenties. Silica gel helps the skin gain back its firmness and since it is very much like aloe vera, it acts like Aloe vera in soap too. Its very soft on the skin amd adds to the wetter than water content like holly hock
Hi everyone. I always benefit from all the help you share here but I have never posted. I am quite new to all this soapy stuff. Only under 4 months. However, I do make my base with about or over 80% tallow usually and have incorporated 25% camel fat. Its very conditioning and the bubbles are great even without any coconut oil and castor. Now I use both castor and coconut less than 5% CO and even less castor, but it was both cleansing and bubbly without. Not only that but I did read somewhere that camel can be substituted for coconut oil but they didn't say where. So I thought I will try out 100% camel and let you all know how it goes. In addition, it makes an amazing and silky cream. Thank you for sharing the vinegar tip, can I add silica gel at this point too? Thanks in advance. @Holi_Healerz.

Hello, thank you for responding to my post. Yes, silica gel is a substance that is found naturally in our body when young but then dwindles as we get into our twenties. I use it in soap and hair products because of the healing effects on the skin. Its hydrating like aloe vera and works in much the same way. It is also used as a shampoo often on its own so it has cleansing power as well as hydration amd collagen building. How much does it affect the skin in soap? I don't kmow but I like the feel of the soap with it, its slippery- er like wetter water kind of thing (holly hock infusion also has this kind of effect) and when I also add date molasses then its a heavenly feel. People seem to really like the mollasses effect. Silica gel helps the skin gain back its firmness. Its very soft on the skin and adds to the wetter than water content like holly hock.
I hope any of this helped somewhere. Thank you all.for sharing all your knowledge and experiences.

Latest posts

Back