Calling all Lotion Crafters! Questions!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
GSE = grapefruit seed extract
ROE = rosemary oleoresin extract

"...There are so many mixed opinions about preservatives...."

If the sources you are using are saying GSE and ROE are preservatives, then the sources are being written by people who have minimal knowledge of cosmetic science. There are a fair number of ignorant, false, and downright dangerous "facts" being passed around the internet blog-o-sphere like the cold virus in a 4th grade classroom. This particular bit of misinformation that an antioxidant = preservative is widespread amongst those folks. The best place to get set straight is Susan Barclay Nichols website (http://swiftcraftymonkey.blogspot.ca).

"[Vitamin E and grapefruit seed extract] ...are anti-oxidants, meaning they will retard the rancidity of our oils, but they don't protect our products from bacteria, fungus, yeast, or molds, which is what preservatives do...." Source: http://swiftcraftymonkey.blogspot.com/2014/01/weekend-wonderings-whats-plasticizer.html

"...Study after study has shown that the preserving power of GSE comes from the preservatives added to the product. Various studies have shown GSE contains benzethonium chloride, benzalkonium chloride, triclosan, and various parabens, and these are what offer the bacteria, fungus, yeast, and mould fighting powers attributed to GSE...." Source: http://swiftcraftymonkey.blogspot.com/2010/10/preservatives-grapefruit-seed-extract.html

"...For non-water containing or anhydrous products, we can add anti-oxidants, or ingredients that will retard the rancidity of our oils. The anti-oxidant we use most is Vitamin E, but there are other oil soluble anti-oxidants, like rosemary oleo extract (ROE). Adding an anti-oxidant to an anhydrous product will extend its shelf life...." Source: http://swiftcraftymonkey.blogspot.com/2014/01/weekend-wonderings-do-we-need-to.html

I make lotion for myself and my friends but I would not dream of making one without the preserving it. Very dangerous...I would not buy " natural" either:)

Or potassium sorbate and benzyl alcohol, though tricky to get the right effectiveness, is kinda close to natural...

I'd love to be all natural but I use liquid germall plus and no issues so far I've been using my lotions for quite a few months.

They are only used by me and my husband so they haven't been challenge tested but they look feel and smell just like the day I made them. I heat and hold 20 mins and use brand new plastic spoons to stir. I always have a spray bottle of alcohol handy too.

I've never tried it without preservative I wouldn't want to.

Swiftmonkey blog gives all the info necessary to make cosmetics without the dangerous bacteria growth or mold. I am using Optiphen plus and liquid germall plus, both work pretty well. Optiphen plus gives the lotion a bit of cream cheese look. It needs to be added at very low temps otherwise there will be separation ;)

Swiftmonkey blog gives all the info necessary to make cosmetics without the dangerous bacteria growth or mold. I am using Optiphen plus and liquid germall plus, both work pretty well. Optiphen plus gives the lotion a bit of cream cheese look. It needs to be added at very low temps otherwise there will be separation ;)

Actually with Optiphen Plus it depends what kind of emulsifier you are using. It destabilized a lotion I made using E-wax but once I switched to BTMS I found I could incorporate it at higher temperatures with no problem (I make a very thick lotion so I want to pour it as warm as possible!)

I am using liquid germall plus. as far as i understand, it's broad spectrum and paraben free. it is also fairly easy to use and is the only preservative i am using (so far) for my liquid soap, shampoo, and lotions/creams.

I'm so happy to see so many sensible people here. :D

May I add the following to the discussion:

- I'm a Germall Plus fan, but sometimes I use a different one.
It all depends on the pH or formula of your product. Optiphen (not suitable for watery products like douchegel or gels) and Geogard Ultra - pH of 3 to 7 - ecocert.

- There is more than one issue with the "all natural" productline manufactureres; especially with their ingredient lists.
When they claim to have no preservatives in a (water containing) product; the preservative is usually hidden in the used ingredients and the "perfume" part: aloe vera gel for example already contains a preservative, and benzoin is a fragrance that has some antifungal and antisceptic properties see link.

- I'm from Europe; as of July 2013, an addition to the cosmetic legislation is made. A list of 27 allergens with restricted use, is published.
If a product contains any of those allergens, they must be listed on the product label.
It won't suprise you that a lot of natural products overnight turned out to be not as innocent as we assumed.

FYI an updated ingredientlist of dr.Hauschka's after sun lotion (click on the arrow next to "ingredients") and an article about benzyl benzoate.

I don't mention this to scare you (we've got some common sense, don't we), but merely food for thoughts.

Latest posts

Back