Calling all Canadian Soapers

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pink-north

Reaction score
I was just wondering how many Canadian soapmakers visit this forum. Okay I have alterior motives, but I assure you there's nothing sinister :twisted: going on? I am curious about insurance and how other Canadian soapers are handling it.

I'm from Alberta...howdy!

I have no insurance because when I called our insurance company (Co-Operators) my adjuster told me that they wouldn't touch me with a ten foot pole! Lovely! She also called some collegues in Lethbridge (nearest city to us) and they also said they could not insure me based on the nature of my business. Soooo, I'm hoping that my little disclaimer cards (that basically say, don't be an idiot when you use my products!) will help dissuade any potential lawsuits.

Are you insured?? This weekend is my first big craft show (outside my little town of 200), so I'm hoping it goes well and that the insurance thing isn't a big issue!

Kelly

Hey there! :) I'm from a little town just outside Ottawa. I'm with the Co-operators as well (who isn't these days) and they gave me a quote of $1,700/yr. but only in Canada. I may just do what you suggest and pray no one tries a law suit.

This is really unfair though. The soapmakers guild etc. offers great things in the U.S. why can't we have that here. I guess it's due to our lower population.

Good luck on you show :D please let us know how it goes.

OUCH! $1700/yr?!?! I've only made $220 on my sales so far! Not very good for the profit margin! But I guess getting your a** sued off isn't very profitable either! I think if I continue next year doing farmers markets, etc I'll definately get some insurance, but for now, I'm not sure what to do other than hope and pray that no one gets hurt/allergic to any of my stuff.

I've clearly marked all my soaps, etc that are not suitable for sensitive skin (just because of exfoliants, essential oils, etc) that are in them, and I've put a caution card in each package. You'd think that would be enough....but I'm still a little concerned.

Oh well, I"ll keep my fingers crossed!

Kelly

Starting a soapmakers guild or something of the sort or Canadians would be a brilliant idea. I'm still dialoguing with the NSMG to see if they are interested in opening a Canadian chapter. It almost makes me want to start something, but wouldn't know where to begin.

I've been to etsy and that seems like a good place to start selling things, but you'd be limited to only Canadian buyers, which would greatly reduce your sales. (I should stop ranting now).

I will let you know if I find out anything.

If you know of or hear of any other soaper, could you please let me know. I believe part of the problem is it doesn't seem like there is a big enough market up here.

Latest posts

Back