Calendula Soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

annalee2003

Reaction score
First time using calendula flowers in my soap!
I infused them in water and used that on my lye mixture.
The lye mixture had a nice deep orange to it, but once everything got mixed and came to trace, it was more of a very light peach color.
Still love it though! I have a giant bag of the flowers so I’m definitely going to make more soap with them.

Colored the other half with madder root powder.

Scented with honeysuckle fragrance.

IMG_1512346262.375765.jpg

I like your soap. Calendula petals are pretty as a decoration on the top of soap, too.

Very nice. I love calendula petals, the only flower that doesn't turn brown in soap. Try infusing some oil with the petals, you'll get a deeper yellow that way.
After I strain the infusion, I save the oily petals to add to the soap.

Pretty Soap!

Ditto what Obsidian said. I cover the bottom of an 8" stainless steel frying pan with the petals; pour oil to 1" over the petals; bring the heat up until it starts bubbling; and then turn it waaaay down just to keep it warm for 3-4 hours. Pour thru a strainer to remove the petals, and pour again thru the strainer with a coffee filter insert to get the last bits out so there's nothing to make the soap scratchy. Wait until it stops dripping and then squeeze the coffee filter to get all the oil out. Add antioxdant ROE to the oil if I don't use it all up right away.

Very pretty soap. I just cold infuse the petals into oil in a canning jar. Let them sit for awhile. I prefer not to heat my oils more than necessary. I use ROE in all my oils as soon as I open them

Thank you for the tips everyone! I’ll try infusing them in oil next time around. See if I can get a deeper color out of them.
I wish all plants behaved this well in soap!

Very nice! I tried Calendula petals recently too. I did a yellow stripe in the middle with petals mixed right into that portion of batter. Then sprinkled some on top too. I don't usually like non-soapy stuff in my soap, but the petals actually aren't too messy in the shower. I'll definitely use 'em again. :)

calendula.jpg

Back