Calendula Powder?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dibbles

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've been growing a calendula plant in a pot on my deck this summer, and have collected and dried the petals. There really aren't enough to make an oil infusion of any significant amount, and I am wondering if anyone has used calendula powder, either infusing it in oil or adding it to the soap batter? If added to the soap batter, was it scratchy? I have tried infusing dried calendula petals in oil before, and didn't really notice much - if any - color difference in the soap I made with it. Even though I'm not a fan of botanicals on or in my soap, these will just be for myself and immediate family members, and I will be using some of the petals in or on the soap.

Any advice appreciated :)

I infuse oil with the petals then hit it with a SB to break the petals up into smaller pieces. The make a nice yellowy speckles this way and aren't scratchy at all. They do add a slight color to the batter.
I've never used powder but I would without any hesitation.

I'm not a fan of botanicals either but I do like the yellowy look of calendula.

For a two lb batch, I used roughly 1/4 cup petals, this was the loose, dry measurement.

I did use a little green mica in this and there is a gold swirl but you can at least see the petal specks.

Attachments

• 20200918_153510.jpg
    20200918_153510.jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 44
@Obsidian thank you! That is a really pretty soap. I think I might get a little powder to try in a small batch. Some to infuse and some to try in the batter. I have such a small amount of the petals from my own plant, maybe 1/3 cup, I have to figure out the best use for them.

I'd toss them in the melted oils and blend them in well so they are chopped up a bit.
Doing half with petals, half without would make for a pretty swirl.

They look pretty on top of the soap too but I don't care for chunky bits coming loose when I'm washing.

My soap is a lower cleansing, gentle soap for dry winter use.

I'd toss them in the melted oils and blend them in well so they are chopped up a bit.
Doing half with petals, half without would make for a pretty swirl.

They look pretty on top of the soap too but I don't care for chunky bits coming loose when I'm washing.

My soap is a lower cleansing, gentle soap for dry winter use.
I'm looking for a recipe for winter use, do you mind sharing yours? :)

I put my calendula petals into the hot lye then mix with oils and blend as usual. This makes a nice, soft yellow colour (nicer if you don't gel). Calendula of course, is one of the few botanicals that keeps its colour and doesn't go brown in cold process soap. Putting the petals in the oils rather than the lye will make a yellow speckled creamy white soap. I don't find the petals scratchy.

I put my calendula petals into the hot lye then mix with oils and blend as usual. This makes a nice, soft yellow colour (nicer if you don't gel). Calendula of course, is one of the few botanicals that keeps its colour and doesn't go brown in cold process soap. Putting the petals in the oils rather than the lye will make a yellow speckled creamy white soap. I don't find the petals scratchy.
Do the petals dissolve in the lye solution, or do they still speckle the batter. I actually like the specked look, but it’s interesting that you can get a nice color from doing this.

The petals don't dissolve, you can still see the petals in the soap but as the soap is yellow they don't show up enormously.

I also use the lye method for colouring with madder root. In this case I make a madder tea first seiving out the bits and adding the lye afterwards. (When it has cooled!) I have not tried this method with the calendula as I leave the petals in. It might work but I feel perhaps the action of the lye helps extract the colour from the petals. It would probably be ok to sieve out the petals from the lye before adding to the oils,I am sure you would get some colour, but I don't do this with the madder root as I don't like messing about with the lye. It doesn't seem to affect the colour of the madder whether you expose it to the lye or not.

We make calendula-infused olive oil to use in our soaps (& lip balms) and in some of our soaps we use ground calendula flowers. And yep, they're a little scratchy and I love it. It's an amazing exfoliator for those with dry, scaly, flaky skin... like me! My skin has never been better since doing this and actually those bars sell amazingly fast! *we make HP soaps

Attachments

• 11-SHR_upright.jpg
    11-SHR_upright.jpg
    122.4 KB · Views: 15

Latest posts

Back