Calendula in CP soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ilovesoap

Reaction score
I made a cp soap with calendula (three oil soap, simple recipe) and now weeks later the areas around the calendula are turning sort of orange. I am actually not sure if it is the calendula or perhaps dos. I have seen pics of dos only (I've not had experience with it at all) Has anyone else had this happen? I know people use calendula often and the soap remains creamy. What is the secret? TD perhaps? or do I have dos? I am a little concerned about this issue as I just purchased a pound of petals with the hopes of using it in cp. I love the way it looks minus the orange discoloration.
I am unable to post a pic btw. sorry. :roll:

calendula

calendula has very strong color. i get calendula extract from f.n.w.l. and infuse my olive oil with it. a little bit turns my oil BRIGHT orange. wiich slowly turn a softer golden color.

did you use dried flowers or ground or extract or e/o?

are the spots pretty evenly distributed?

monet

I added it to my goat milk soap and did not gel it and it about 4 weeks cure so far and it has a slight fade into soap. I think dos is wet pockets. Is it wet?

I used dried petals not ground in my usual 3 oil recipe. The spots are not wet at all. They appear to be located around the petals. I did gel. I wonder if the gelling process is the culprit. Should I not gel? I haven't been able to stop a gel in my 5 pound loaf. I know I purchased some very beautiful soap from another soaper that has calendula petals (whole or slightly chopped up) and it is a nice creamy bar with no discoloration. I am not sure if she used a little td or not. My recipe typically produces a light creamy bar without any help from td so prefer not to add colorant at all. Any suggestions?

aaaagh! Surely someone has had some experience with this calendula seeping issue. Help! I have a whole pound I would love to use as an additive in my creamy colored soaps. :shock:

I have used dried calendula and calendula infused olive oil in my soaps many times without any seeping issues so I am unsure what has happened to your soap.

Without being able to see the soap it makes it hard to help more.

I also always gel my soap so that shouldn't be the problem. When I have had dos it was dry or a little sticky but not wet.

Sorry to not be of more help! :?

Thanks all, I am wondering now if it could be dos. I have not had experience with it yet. It is dry and the spots are orangey tinted. Could very well be I guess. I will just try another batch and see. I just hate to waste product if the petals are going to seep orange.

cdwinsby said:
I have used dried calendula and calendula infused olive oil in my soaps many times without any seeping issues so I am unsure what has happened to your soap.
ditto

carebear said:
cdwinsby said:
ditto

tritto. :lol: I do not put alot of the petals in, I add them at trace and pour. Not had a problem.....yet. :lol:

Digit

digit said:
carebear said:
cdwinsby said:
ditto

tritto. :lol: I do not put alot of the petals in, I add them at trace and pour. Not had a problem.....yet. :lol:

Digit

?Squiddo? :lol: I use the petals after I grind them a bit in my coffee bean grinder & have had no problems - added them at trace.

Latest posts

Back