Calendula and Honey CP

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LoveOscar

Reaction score
Calendula tea steeped overnight for full water replacement. Calendula infused Olive Oil. At trace: 1 tspn honey, 1 tspn turmeric powder (for color), and Wildflower Honey FO from BB.

Calendula infused Olive Oil:
2016-04-21%2013.34.25_zpskk2kqp2x.jpg

Oils and lye tea infusion combined:
2016-04-21%2013.45.16_zpstzs6fyil.jpg

Turmeric, honey, and FO added at trace:
2016-04-21%2013.48.13_zpscmpyneb1.jpg

Poured into the mold:
2016-04-21%2013.57.37_zpsj9r199ud.jpg

I was reading when fast infusing oil on the stove, it needs to breathe, so the cheese cloth held on by the canning jar ring seemed like a good idea. It was a pain in the butt to get off once the cloth was soaked with oil after straining, but it worked beautifully!

I'm waiting for the soap to be ready to unmold so I can cut it and post pictures.

That looks like skintastic soap! I love calendula tea as a water replacement. I use it in my pine tar and missed it the one time I made it without the tea.

I have a crap load of calendula petals I usually steep in OO but haven't tried the tea yet. What ratio of petals to water do you use? Do you simmer the mixture then let steep?

I boil my distilled water and then put in almost an equal volume of petals - basically enough so there is only a bit of water showing above when I poke down all the petals. Then I leave about an hour or until completely cool. It makes a very opaque yellow/brown "tea". Then I strain and put the tea into an ice cube tray. My strainer lets through quite a few specks that I think enhance the finished soap.

Safety Note: Since I bring my distilled water to boil in a microwave, I add a few petals to the water before it goes into the microwave. That way my water will not superheat and explode when I move it.

I have a crap load of calendula petals I usually steep in OO but haven't tried the tea yet. What ratio of petals to water do you use? Do you simmer the mixture then let steep?

I did a ratio of 1 tbsp dried petals to 1 cup (8 oz) distilled water. I heated 16 oz of water to steaming not quiet bubbling, poured over 2 tbsp of dried calendula petals. Let it steep hot for 20 minutes, then put it in the fridge over night.

2016-04-21%2010.55.11_zps28clmfy2.jpg

2016-04-21%2010.54.48_zpski4jk01i.jpg

So the finished loaf finally, reluctantly, allowed me to unmold it. It's still soft, like soy wax, but that made it easy to cut!

I love the speckled look from the turmeric. Not sure how I feel about the overall color, but I know the FO darkened the soap. It looks like honey to me hahaha.

2016-04-22%2014.07.00_zpspuhvxxuw.jpg

2016-04-22%2014.07.57_zps0bfu0cwo.jpg

Back