Calculator and superfat

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leanne.reynolds922

Reaction score
I have been using the calculator that is provided here in the forum. After I plug in my recipe it lists the amount of superfat to add after the cook. Am I removing that amount from my total oils or adding an additional amount to the entire batch? This is a new calculator for me I had been using Soapcalc and it didn't give a superfat amount.

Last edited:
When you check the “Superfat after cook for hot process” switch in Soapmakingfriend, the recipe automatically switches to 0% lye discount, i. e. exact saponification. It then does not care at all about what or how much post-cook superfat you're working with.

That means, when you use this function, your late superfat will be additional to your batch oils. Whatever you choose as superfat, is excluded from the weights of the recipe.
If you want your late superfat to be the same as the batch oils, disable the “Superfat after cook” function, and just put the SF percentage of the oil blend aside.

When you check the “Superfat after cook for hot process” switch in Soapmakingfriend, the recipe automatically switches to 0% lye discount, i. e. exact saponification. It then does not care at all about what or how much post-cook superfat you're working with.

That means, when you use this function, your late superfat will be additional to your batch oils. Whatever you choose as superfat, is excluded from the weights of the recipe.
If you want your late superfat to be the same as the batch oils, disable the “Superfat after cook” function, and just put the SF percentage of the oil blend aside.
Thank you so much this is what I assumed to be the case but wanted to make sure!

Latest posts

Back