Calculating Superfat on Recipe Builder?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello! I'm hoping you all will have an answer for me. I made a soap last night and superfatted 8% on the calculator that's on this site (I like it better than soapcalc...). My question is, do I need to ADD 8% to the 100% that I account for in the recipe or is the superfat accounted for somewhere in the recipe? I hope that makes sense... Like does the lye amount change if I say I'm going to superfat or do I need to add extra oils? Thanks in advance!

Hi there, welcome to this awesome forum! I'm sure a more experienced soaper will jump in momentarily buy I'll add my 2.5 cents. I use Soap Calc but I bet they're the same in this regard... So, when you set your superfat, all that should do is decrease the lye amount. So, for example, if you want to make a 1000g batch (about 2 lbs). I think most soapers start with their oil weight as how they determine their batch size. Then it's just adjusting your lye and liquid amounts. Hope that cleared some things up.

A s_oap recipe calculator uses the superfat percentage to reduce the NaOH weight to give the soap some fat that isn't turned into soap. You don't want to add more fat in addition to setting the superfat percentage -- your soap would contain double the superfat if you did that.

Set up a recipe, set the superfat to zero, and note the NaOH weight. Use the exact same recipe except set the superfat to 8%. Note the NaOH weight. Is it less for an 8% superfat? If it is (and it should be), the difference in the NaOH weights is the effect of the 8% superfat setting.

Excellent info! Thank you all :) I am trying to figure out why all of my batches are drying and I was thinking I wasn’t super farting. But I guess I have been and perhaps the bars are just too cleansing. I’m going to try a low cleansing soap recipe and see if that fixes the problem

ok! Here is the recipe I created and tried.
AliOop: I think that may be the problem. I mistakenly thought that HP soap would mean I could use it right away and it would be a good bar... apparently, cure time is important so that the bar isn't harsh.

Attachments

• Basic Soap Recipe 1.1.pdf
    126.1 KB · Views: 14
Back