Calculating salt bar recipe/new mold

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wanted to get one of those myself. Maybe you should run this through a calc with less oils than what the mold says it holds. I hope you get a better answer though.

I never decrease my recipe when I add salt, I just have a few other molds ready - more soap, more fun :)

I generally use individual molds so don't usually worry about it. However, when I do use the log mold I do the same as above. Just have some extra molds ready to go.

Well I'm surprised the consensus is to...."just have an extra mold handy for the leftovers", but not at all disappointed! :grin: That is the type of thinking I usually live by (as in...do it the easy way as long as no one gets hurt!), but
thought I'd try to step up my game a little in order to shed some of my "beginner" habits. (or what I thought were beginner habits!) Good to know I'm in good company!

Thanks everyone!

Well I'm surprised the consensus is to...."just have an extra mold handy for the leftovers", but not at all disappointed! :grin: That is the type of thinking I usually live by (as in...do it the easy way as long as no one gets hurt!), but
thought I'd try to step up my game a little in order to shed some of my "beginner" habits. (or what I thought were beginner habits!) Good to know I'm in good company!

Thanks everyone!

It's certainly not a "80% salt = 80% more soap" calculation - I use about 70% soap and it only fills my moulds a little more than usual

You remember that mold (see link, first post) - it's still a great mold - but be warned about using for salt bars! I went to cut them when gel had firmed up enough and had quite a fight trying to get the silicone mold out
of the wood part. I assume the heat made it expand enough to keep it stuck tight.

But I am now the proud creator of 18 bars of successful salt bars - cut not a moment too soon. (used Irish Lass's recipe with coconut milk and cut at 3 hours)

Now....I have to wait how long to cure them? :roll: (what was I thinking??)

Latest posts

Back