Calculating fragrance for bath bombs

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think the IFRA categories have just been revised to include things like bubble bath and bath bombs, which are technically rinse-off products but are left in contact with skin for longer periods of time than other rinse-off products. I'm not sure when the new categories go into effect (if they haven't already), but fragrance suppliers are supposed to be supplying that information when it does. Don't quote me but I'm thinking it's a sub-category of rinse-off products. I don't remember where I read that though, it might have been someone here at SMF mentioning it.

As far as calculating the percentage, I am not aware of any category that calculates the percentage based on only a portion of the whole. I am pretty sure that all percentages are based on the total weight of all ingredients, even if it's mixed in phases like lotions are.

I think the IFRA categories have just been revised to include things like bubble bath and bath bombs, which are technically rinse-off products but are left in contact with skin for longer periods of time than other rinse-off products. I'm not sure when the new categories go into effect (if they haven't already), but fragrance suppliers are supposed to be supplying that information when it does. Don't quote me but I'm thinking it's a sub-category of rinse-off products. I don't remember where I read that though, it might have been someone here at SMF mentioning it.

As far as calculating the percentage, I am not aware of any category that calculates the percentage based on only a portion of the whole. I am pretty sure that all percentages are based on the total weight of all ingredients, even if it's mixed in phases like lotions are.
That’s kind of huge if it changes!
Soap is based on the oils. That’s what made me ask.

That’s kind of huge if it changes!
Soap is based on the oils. That’s what made me ask.
Ok. I went and found the official document from IFRA regarding the changes, and it looks like it was one of the leave-on categories that was significantly subdivided, but bath bombs are (for now) still technically in category 9, rinse-off products. Which doesn't make sense to me, since the whole point of them is to sit in it and not rinse it off for a while.

I looked at the chart that shows which products have been moved to different categories, and it's a lot. Just not bath bombs (which I'm assuming are considered bath salts for IFRA purposes, since the documents don't mention bath bombs specifically, that I saw).

I'm racking my brain trying to remember where I read that about bath bombs and bubble bath being a subcategory of 9, maybe it is a proposed future change, I dunno.

And regarding soap, soapmakers calculate fragrance based on the oil, but I'm pretty sure that the IFRA percentages are based on the total finished (cured) soap. Otherwise, you'd have different percentages that varied depending on how much water was used to make the soap, and how much had evaporated out during cure. We almost never use the actual IFRA allowed maximums in soap anyway, so we calculate how much to use based on what works, rather than safety, because the amount that works best is almost always far below the safe amount.

I'm going to look into this some more another day, right now it's way past my bedtime and I have to go to work in the morning.

IFRA Standards updated: Guidance for use of IFRA Standards May 4, 2020

See page 37 (Table 10) for the categories & sub-categories listing page.
See pages 44-51 (Table 12) for categories & sub-categories with corresponding products

Note that bathbombs are still category 9. Foot soak products and pet products have been re-categorized and now are category 9 (formerly 4 and 10 respectively).

See page 10 for effective (entering into force) dates (Figure 1 - Timeline applicable for the 49th Amendment)
Note: Notification Date was Jan. 10, 2020 and timeline of effective date is based on length of time from notification date. Also note that the effective dates for new (product) creations and existing (product) creations differ.

The effective date of the new IFRA categories for NEW product creations was May 10, 2021. However, old existing product creations must comply by May 10, 2022.

The reason for the longer timeline for the pre-existing products would likely be due to having to re-formulate and seek approval (regulatory agency approvals, certifications, whatever) for each of the already existing products, and that may take longer to do than with brand new products.

Further IFRA documents for reference can be found here:
https://ifrafragrance.org/safe-use/standards-documentation
Some can be opened as Word documents, some as PDF, some as Excel files, and some can open in your browser.

I hope that helps.

Latest posts

Back