Calculating expiration on soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

project.luke

Reaction score
Hi All,

I am a newbie in soap making (been trying some CP and HP) and now wondering on what date should I put on the soap for expire date. Because I sometimes try to make soap with fresh ingredients such as fruits and spices.

I read that the rule of thumb is a year for CP, is this because most of the oils are having 1 year expiration? Does this date change when some fresh ingredients are added into the mix? Is there differences of expiration between CP and HP?

Thanks much

When you give it your friends, just ask them to keep an eye on it and let you know. Also, keep a bar unused and you can see how it goes over time. You won't actually need to worry too much about a date on a label until you come to sell and by then you'll know how long it lasts with and without fruits and so on.

there are a few handmade cp soaps my mom bought at a market 3 years ago. they're still good as new, no signs of funky stuff. and believe it or not, the smell is still absolutely strong. i am going to take a chunk and test drive it to the shower to see how it is.

I have quite a few of my very first soaps that are over 3 years old and they are still in perfect shape. I kept one from each batch and put them in boxes so I could truly see how they would be at the minimum of 9months to a year before I started selling. So, if you have a good recipe and don't utilize oils that have short shelf lifes they may never expire. If you are concerned you could perhaps list a year on them.

I have bought cold process soap from a uk seller who abides by all the ridiculous rules and regulations we have to jump through. All her soaps have a 2 year expiration date, I can tell as she puts the date of manufacture on too. This is the same regardless of what natural additives she has added. I think if you chose a similar time frame you would be fine.

Thanks all for your replies, I do plan on selling the soaps and waiting for 1 year seems mighty long before I can sell. Maybe will try a few months and putting the expiration date shorter to be safe like 6 months from the production date, give me your thoughts and critics (will be very much appreciated)

Thanks

The topic has had a lot of space - not only here, but elsewhere, I'm sure! When to sell..................?

First off, where are you selling? US or EU? If the US, it is much easier but that doesn't mean you shouldn't be very sure of everything - not to say that you aren't, of course.

But people are going to expect you to know your product and industry - and know it well! Why do you have a 6 month expiry date? What happens after that? If YOU have questions about your products, what happens when someone asks YOU the question?

I am a new soaper, but blessed/cursed with a regulated market that means by the time I'm cleared to sell I would have been at this for a good long time anyway, hence why I am looking at sorting things out already. But if I could sell tomorrow, I wouldn't feel 100% safe doing so as my first soap is only 3 months old

Everyone has their own idea on when they are ready to sell. My statement was when I felt comfortable to begin selling my product. I knew how it would be in 3, 6, 9 and 12 months. Even now when I look at some of my first soaps visually I have come a long way and they are much more appealing to me. It took me a long time of testing recipes and having family/friends try my products and give me feedback.

I mostly gift my soaps. My label says "best if used between x and y dates", with x being after a month's cure and y being six months after that. As a practical matter, I have soap that is three years old that is still good but the fragrance has faded some.

TEG, very true. Thanks for your insights, and everybody's replies also helps. The first soap I made was about 6 months ago and that batch was still fine to use without any changes hence I thought 6 months is safe enough. I am selling this in Asia and originally wanted to find out how factory made soaps sets their expiry. I heard they should be "conditioned" in the lab or something. I am going to have mine tested in the lab for safety regulations requirements in my country (so I can get registered), I guess I could ask them also about the expiry. Thanks again all for your replies, this forum really is invaluable. Learned so much from here.

Latest posts

Back