Calculating batch/essential oil amount

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Katie68121

Reaction score
Hi all,
I bet this has been asked already and I searched for it on here but couldn’t find anything. So when calculating my batch for my particular soap mold what I did was LxWxD In inches which got me 10.25x2.75x2.75=77.515 Then x.40=31
So 31 is the amount of Oils in ounces. Yes? Or am I doing something wrong? Now what I’m really confused with is how much essential oils I can use in this batch. I read on brambleberry to use .8 ounces for every pound of soap, but is this for every pound meaning the weight in oils or the total batch? How do I calculate the total batch?

Yes, 31 is the amount of oil in ounces.When calculating fragrance, you go by the oil amount, not the whole batch amount.

Brambleberry has some good info and tutorials, but it is downright dangerous to advise a set amount of EO per pound of soap. Some essential oils are not skin safe, and others are only skin-safe in very small amounts, including clove, anise, nutmeg, cinnamon, and other "hot" oils. Other EOs can and must be used in abundance in order to even smell them.

An EO calculator is the only way to determine the skin-safe usage for the specific EO you want to use. You can find one here on EOCalc.com, or also on Majestic Mountain Sage.

Brambleberry has some good info and tutorials, but it is downright dangerous to advise a set amount of EO per pound of soap. Some essential oils are not skin safe, and others are only skin-safe in very small amounts, including clove, anise, nutmeg, cinnamon, and other "hot" oils. Other EOs can and must be used in abundance in order to even smell them.

An EO calculator is the only way to determine the skin-safe usage for the specific EO you want to use. You can find one here on EOCalc.com, or also on Majestic Mountain Sage.
Yes! I’ve read about that, and definitely agree! Do you think mixing an EO in Clay helps retain the smell for CP soap?? Thank you!

Ok, whew!! Glad you are on it 😅

I personally do believe that scent sticks longer when anchored in clay. Others don't agree that it has those benefits. Perhaps the different experience could be combination of things: different mix of oils, soaping temps, etc.

Back