Caffeine Anhydrous

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Does anyone make caffeinated soap? My Kelpie bar is a caffeinated soap and I have a miserable time with the caffeine anhydrous. I cannot get it to dissolve well in very hot water, melting point for the product is listed at 236 degrees that did not work. Another package of the caffeine says to use lemon juice which does work, but by the time I am ready to use it in the soap it is to hard to incorporate.
I tried something new today. I used the lemon juice and of course it was to hard when I went to use it added in some water was not happy then I decided to try some of my coconut ls. I couldn't believe it it mixed and worked great. Next time I am going to try just ls and see what happens.
If anyone knows a good way to dissolve caffeine powder I would greatly appreciate knowing how you make it work. Glad I only do one soap with it :grin:

No, the anhydrous caffeine powder I got from Amazon.com stays clear and does not thicken the water. How much are you using? I only use 2 grams of caffeine powder dissolved in 3 tsp boiling water for 27 ounces of oil.

Question...

Is the dissolved powder added to the lye water before mixing with oils? If not, when and where is it added? I'll be making my first coffee soap this week. I'm very excited about it!

I use 1% in my soap batches. so for my salt batches it works out to be .5 oz
In order to properly use anhydrous caffeine powder in any formulations to dissolve it properly, you cannot use only water. You need to use an acid. Add citric acid until it is fully dissolved. Sure adding boiling water will make it look dissolved, but once it cools it is no longer. And if you use the correct % rate to disolve it using hot water, to do so would only end up turning into a spongy squishy texture. Percentage rates are
  • skin care: 0.1 to 0.5%
  • body care: 0.5 to 1.0%
  • hair care: 0.1 to 0.7%

Latest posts

Back