Cafe Latte and High IFRA %

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have Cafe Latte from Crafters Choice and the max percentage is 8% according to WSP. I plan on making soap with it tonight, but i am confused about the high rate.

I normally use 6%, which i am finding a little lacking. i like highly fragranced, and get really disappointed if a fragrance fades. so i have been sneaking in a little extra, which kinda messes up my (2) 2 oz doses out of a 4 oz bottle to make two batches (1000g oils).

Has anybody used this FO? And should I/could i go up that high?

Another question (or two) about this fo, if you dont mind lol. It discolors to a dark brown. My original plan was to do a white drop swirl with TD, in unscented batter. I am thinking 300g out of my main batter for the swirl. Should i decrease the amt of fo i use in the main batter? How bad will it discolor the unscented td portion?

I was ready to soap about two hours ago, but cant settle on fo amt and design lol

The IFRA % is the amount that you can safely use in products that come in contact with skin. Some FOs have extremely high usage rates, far more than you would want to use in your soap. I pretty much stick with 1 oz PPO, which is about 6%, as the maximum I will use. If I'm not happy with a fragrance at 6%, I won't buy it again. I think you would be okay using 8% if you wanted to. At some point, I think you could run into a situation with the FO weeping (oozing - leaking - not sure of the correct word) out of the soap. I'm not sure what that point is, though. Just something to consider if you are thinking about adding the whole amount (@ 8%) to the uncolored part of your batter.

I think a white drop swirl in the dark brown soap would look very nice. Maybe 1/4 of the batter for that - or even less depending on how much white you want. That's really up to you. I have had FOs that discolor dark brown bleed, or migrate, into the other portions of the soap. Sometimes it looks okay, as I think the brown/white probably would. Sometimes not so much - red/white and brown/light blue were pretty sad looking. This is one of the reasons I tend to avoid FOs that discolor dark brown.

I haven't used that particular FO, so can't help you with specifics. Good luck!

Well, i went to plan B on the swirl and decided it might be fun to do a gradient type pour instead, and just keep adding the white to the brown batter. I added the fo to both batters...one uncolored and one with td, they both accelerated like crazy with just stirring. And the batter was at emulsion because i knew i needed it thin for the gradient.

So i figured meh, back to plan A...the drop swirl. LOL, the batter quickly went to soft serve ice cream consistency lol.

Plan C...dump it all in and hope for the best LOL

I used 6% fo (Glad i didnt go higher). OOB the fo smells fantastic. On the newly unmolded soap, it smells like vanilla fragranced play doh. I hope that changes.

Pic is the newly cut loaf. The bottom tan is the uncolored batter, which will all turn dark brown. The blob on the top layer is td and fo, so i guess it will turn chocolately like the top.

and i dropped the loaf...

Hopefully it wont be as hideous as i think it will be

Attachments

• 150E760D-19F8-43B5-B22E-2D8F8115AFB3.jpeg
    150E760D-19F8-43B5-B22E-2D8F8115AFB3.jpeg
    251.9 KB · Views: 12
That is a beautiful accident called soap. I'd really like to see it after it's cured and see how it turns out. If it were my soap I would hope and pray the outer brown rim stayed as is! Definitely not hideous! I love it! :):nodding:

Latest posts

Back