Cacao vs Cocoa

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DramaQueen

Reaction score
Hey, so I know that some people argue over if these are the same thing or not, but I really just want to know if I can use them interchangeably in soap. Thanks!

I wouldn't say that they are the same, but they come from the same initial ingredient (cacao beans). They are both dried, fermented, roasted, and ground into a powder. As @MelissaG said, cocoa powder is more processed than cacao powder because it goes through some extra steps after that, usually "Dutch" processing with alkali.

I've used both in soap - no discernable difference in results. Cocoa is usually much cheaper.

Cacao vs. Cocoa. While cacao refers to cacao beans that have not been roasted, what is called cocoa is made of beans that have been roasted. So, in turn, a product that is labeled cacao is the raw bean and is often packaged as vegan chocolate that has been minimally processed with no additives.Sep 13, 2022

The Spruce Eats - Make Your Best Meal › dif...

The Difference Between Cacao and Cocoa - The Spruce Eats

I wouldn't say that they are the same, but they come from the same initial ingredient (cacao beans). They are both dried, fermented, roasted, and ground into a powder. As @MelissaG said, cocoa powder is more processed than cacao powder because it goes through some extra steps after that, usually "Dutch" processing with alkali.

I've used both in soap - no discernable difference in results. Cocoa is usually much cheaper.
From cocoa supply.com

Cacao Alkalization​

Cacao powder or liquor without any additional ingredient is called natural cacao powder. Alkalized powder, on the other had has an additional process. This is an optional phase and the only one that involves another ingredient: Potassium Carbonate, a salt, such as in baking soda. It is the process that helps to modify the flavor and color of the cocoa powders and liquors to bring the pH up so as to make it less acid and also help with dispersibility. It’s also referred to as a Dutching (because it was invented in the Netherlands). It is basically adding a very small amount (about 2%) of alkali to the liquor (some do it to the powder itself) and mixing it very well, so it reacts with all the cacao.

Cocoasupply.com is an outstanding source of cocoa butter for soap making. I love their quality. Reasonable shipping charges
https://cocoasupply.com/cacao-butter-for-cosmetics-candles-soap/

Cacao vs. Cocoa. While cacao refers to cacao beans that have not been roasted, what is called cocoa is made of beans that have been roasted. So, in turn, a product that is labeled cacao is the raw bean and is often packaged as vegan chocolate that has been minimally processed with no additives.Sep 13, 2022

The Spruce Eats - Make Your Best Meal › dif...

The Difference Between Cacao and Cocoa - The Spruce Eats

Interesting, and I'm not sure it is correct. I've never seen raw cacao beans sold anywhere - it's always a powder, or nibs.

I've also read the processing notes from the cacao powder suppliers from whom I've purchased raw cacao. They do roast/heat it, either in the sun (so they can say it is "natural") or in an oven but at a lower temperature which they claim keeps the product "raw."

Interesting, and I'm not sure it is correct. I've never seen raw cacao beans sold anywhere - it's always a powder, or nibs.

I've also read the processing notes from the cacao powder suppliers from whom I've purchased raw cacao. They do roast/heat it, either in the sun (so they can say it is "natural") or in an oven but at a lower temperature which they claim keeps the product "raw."
AliOop. Looks like you are correct. This is a very good explanation on how cocoa products are made. Seems like they are all fermented, dried, then roasted. Cacao Processing: From the Farm to Each of Your Favorite Cacao Products

So, what I am hearing is that the difference between the two will not affect the amount of lye you have to add to the soap? Thanks again!

Back