Cabbage Recipes?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In El Salvador we use cabbage to make “curtido”, similar to kimchee but not as spicy. I can ask my mom how to make it, However it is mostly used as a side dish For “Pupusas“, a cheesy stuffed tortilla. We also add it to chicken or beef soup, it softens and develops a nice flavor.
hmmmmmm Pupusas! Haven't had those since we've been up here. Those were one of my favorites and my ESL students always thought it was funny that I liked them so much. One of the gals even brought in some homemade ones for me once. DELICIOUS!!!

hmmmmmm Pupusas! Haven't had those since we've been up here. Those were one of my favorites and my ESL students always thought it was funny that I liked them so much. One of the gals even brought in some homemade ones for me once. DELICIOUS!!!
How nice! what is not to like with all that cheese? Glad to hear you do like them though. Didn't know you were a teacher, how cool.

How nice! what is not to like with all that cheese? Glad to hear you do like them though. Didn't know you were a teacher, how cool.
Not a teacher by training, just by trade in the evenings as a volunteer. :) I have a bad habit of exclaiming, "Doh!" (my old boss loved Homer Simpson) when I make a mistake. One night I realized I'd made a big mistake on the board and as I was furiously erasing it most of the class said, "Doh!". Funniest thing ever. I've often wondered what other bad habits I taught them! Whoops!!

No it was more like this recipe, but not exactly. Mom usually took 2 or 3 recipes out of her circa 1940's big red cloth-covered cookbook and combined different aspects of them to create her/our favorites. I don't make it with ground beef, and Mom didn't always either, but it had lots of tomato, onion, bell pepper and spices for flavor. Other veggies vary based on availability. If my onion-hating brother (there was one) was eating, she'd leave out the onions, but it didn't taste as good without them.
That looks like Mexican rice except still different from what I'm used to. I think because I'm used to eating West Indian peas and rice variations (I'm including Puerto Rico and Dominican Republic in this), it's slightly off putting for me. I'll try it sometime though I'm definitely altering the taco seasoning mix.

Well, it was unanimous.... we both decided this recipe is a keeper. There's a lot of flavour in this dish. John's not a huge cabbage fan but I loved it!
I'm not a huge cabbage fan, either, but if it can be disguised in flavorful juice or sauce, I can manage. Anything Thai definitely qualifies for me, so I'm going to try this - thanks!

That looks like Mexican rice except still different from what I'm used to. I think because I'm used to eating West Indian peas and rice variations (I'm including Puerto Rico and Dominican Republic in this), it's slightly off putting for me. I'll try it sometime though I'm definitely altering the taco seasoning mix.
I recently ordered several copies of my mom's famous (famous in my family, not the world) cookbook so I can give one to each of my brothers this year. They are all so envious that I'm the one who got The Mom's Cookbook. They shouldn't be; it's extremely worn; pages are missing, torn and cracking; the binding is badly damaged; several pages of the index are totally gone, as are some in other parts of the book. It was printed in the 1940's and it's been used by many hands, including grubby little kid hands - me & my brothers when we were young and learning to cook.

In any case, in Mom's cookbook it is called Spanish Rice, and the primary recipe is really very simple. I just looked it up, and was able to find it in spite of almost half of the index pages missing.

One other thing in the recipe is bay leaves, which I rarely cook without. I guess I got that from my mom, too. And cloves, which I had forgotten. For 1/2 cup of rice, it was a very onion heavy recipe. And a large can of tomatoes. Oh, and it did NOT include meat in the original recipe, although I do recall her adding bacon to it sometimes. But as I said before, my mom tended to mix & match recipes, so she may have never followed it exactly. And it didn't include cabbage, but I may make it with a bit of chopped cabbage one of these days to see how it turns out.

@earlene glad to hear you're on Team Bayleaf. I wish people would actually make something with it and then make the same recipe without (if they're opposed to brewing the leaf as a tea). But thanks for the extra bits. I might have to try it

@earlene glad to hear you're on Team Bayleaf. I wish people would actually make something with it and then make the same recipe without (if they're opposed to brewing the leaf as a tea). But thanks for the extra bits. I might have to try it
I know that my pea soup isn't the same without the bay leaf.

Just to break up that unbearable consensus: I hate bay leaf (just like I can't stand Aleppo soap for that reason). But I love caraway and put caraway into everything (sometimes I'd eat a tbsp of pure caraway straight away). I only learned quite late (cooking with university friends) that there are people out there who don't like caraway.

@Gaisy59 How systematic have you challenged this observation? Might it just have been a stale batch that really was tasteless?

Anyhow, back to topic: cabbage!
kimchi+caraway.jpg

It was about time to move the jars with the (now well steeped and pleasantly acidic) kimchi into the fridge – not without having tried them first, sprinkled with some oregano and caraway. Gosh, that burns! Who has put that much ginger in there? 🤧😁

Just to break up that unbearable consensus: I hate bay leaf (just like I can't stand Aleppo soap for that reason). But I love caraway and put caraway into everything (sometimes I'd eat a tbsp of pure caraway straight away). I only learned quite late (cooking with university friends) that there are people out there who don't like caraway.

@Gaisy59 How systematic have you challenged this observation? Might it just have been a stale batch that really was tasteless?

Anyhow, back to topic: cabbage!
View attachment 58988

It was about time to move the jars with the (now well steeped and pleasantly acidic) kimchi into the fridge – not without having tried them first, sprinkled with some oregano and caraway. Gosh, that burns! Who has put that much ginger in there? 🤧😁
I have added bay to recipes but also left it out…🤷‍♀️

Back