Cabbage Recipes?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been trialing "egg roll in a bowl" recipes. Many call for an equal weight of meat (typically fresh ground pork and/or turkey) with an equal weight of sliced cabbage. I'd recommend 1/2 part meat to 1 part cabbage (as written below). It's not cabbage-y enough otherwise. Even hubby agrees, and he's definitely of the "more meat is better" camp. I still want to play with the flavors, but this is what I've come up with so far --

Egg Roll in a Bowl

Serves 2-3 as a main dish

1 TBL vegetable oil
1 clove garlic, minced
1 TBL minced fresh ginger
8 oz fresh ground pork
1 TBL sesame oil
1/2 onion, thinly sliced
1 cup shredded or matchstick carrot
16 oz green cabbage, thinly sliced
1/4 cup soy sauce
1 TBL Sriracha or other hot sauce
1 egg (optional)
1 green onion, thinly sliced
1 TBL sesame seeds

In a large skillet over medium heat, heat vegetable oil. Add garlic and ginger and cook until fragrant, 1 to 2 minutes. Add pork and cook until no pink remains.

Add onion, carrot, and cabbage. Stir to combine with meat. Add soy sauce and Sriracha. Cook until cabbage is tender, 5 to 8 minutes.

Optional: Make a well in the center of the skillet and add the egg. Scramble until done over low heat. Stir to combine egg with other ingredients.

Drizzle with sesame oil and sprinkle with green onions and sesame seeds. Serve hot with additional soy sauce and Sriracha.

edit -- I'm thinking about using more ginger. Many recipes call for only 1 tsp, and I thought 1 TBL was still a little light. Also, @earlene -- does toasted sesame oil keep its flavor when used for sauteing? I've normally used it more as a flavoring added at the end of cooking, not as a frying oil, so I was wondering. Subbing toasted sesame for the veg oil to cook the meat would add more flavor too. I think this would be good with cooked rotisserie chicken or shrimp.

Last edited:
Also, @earlene -- does toasted sesame oil keep its flavor when used for sauteing? I've normally used it more as a flavoring added at the end of cooking, not as a frying oil, so I was wondering. Subbing toasted sesame for the veg oil to cook the meat would add more flavor too. I think this would be good with cooked rotisserie chicken or shrimp.

Yes, it does. I don't use it often as a cooking oil, but once I introduced it to my granddaughter, she went on a binge using it almost daily for about a month for stir fry. She has a habit of making the same meal over and over again until she pretty much can't stand it anymore. ;)

Yes, it does. I don't use it often as a cooking oil, but once I introduced it to my granddaughter, she went on a binge using it almost daily for about a month for stir fry. She has a habit of making the same meal over and over again until she pretty much can't stand it anymore. ;)
Hi @earlene ! I've been thinking about you the last few days, even looking up to see when you were last seen on SMF, wondering where you'd been and hoping you were doing something enjoyable. It's very good to see you.

Bierrocks! Yum! I Make them naked when pressed for time. Also, frozen bread dough or refrigerated pizza dough works great to save time.

Ingredients
2 h16 servings

• Dough
  • 6 to 7 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 4 teaspoons RapidRise Yeast (or 2 packets)
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
  • 1 cup water
  • 1 cup milk
  • 4 tablespoons olive oil
  • 2 large egg
  • Filling
  • 1 1/2 lbs ground beef
  • 5 cups shredded cabbage
  • 1 medium onion diced
  • 1/2 cup diced celery
  • 1/4 cup diced carrots
  • 2 cloves garlic minced
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons season salt
  • 1 teaspoon black pepper
  • 1/2 teaspoon lemon pepper
  • 1 teaspoon extra hot Sriracha
  • 1 teaspoon caraway seeds
  • Add all ingredients to list
Directions

• Prep
    1.5 h
  • Cook
    20 m
  • Ready In
    2 h
  1. In a large bowl, combine 2 cups flour, sugar, undissolved yeast, and salt.
  2. Heat water, milk, and oil until very warm (120° to 130°F).
  3. Gradually add liquids to flour mixture.
  4. Beat 2 minutes at medium speed (speed 2 of KitchenAid) of electric mixer, scraping bowl occasionally.
  5. Add eggs and 2 cups flour; beat 2 minutes at high speed (speed 4 on KitchenAid).
  6. Stir in 2 cups of flour.
  7. Add 1/2 cup at a time of remaining flour to make a soft dough.
  8. Knead on lightly floured surface until smooth and elastic, about 8 to 10 minutes (or knead with KitchenAid hook for 2 minutes on speed 2)
  9. Cover and let rest 10 minutes.
  10. Divide dough into 2 equal pieces; roll each to a large rectangle and slice into 8 equal sections (16 total).
  11. Scoop about 1/4 cup beef and cabbage filling in the center of each section; moisten edges. Bring the 4 corners up to center and pinch edges closed to seal. Place on greased baking sheets pinched side down.
  12. Cover; let rise in warm, draft-free place until doubled in size, about 30 to 45 minutes.
  13. Bake in oven pre-heated to 400 degrees for 15 to 20 minutes.

Cabbage fritters.
Use shreddes cabbage and a bit of sliced onions, mix it with flour. I use chickpea flour. Add salt, pepper, mixed herbs, and water only if neccessary. (Cabbage will give out some water). Fry it or air fry it for a quick snack.

Cabbage fritters.
Use shreddes cabbage and a bit of sliced onions, mix it with flour. I use chickpea flour. Add salt, pepper, mixed herbs, and water only if neccessary. (Cabbage will give out some water). Fry it or air fry it for a quick snack.
Ah - yes - Hubby makes these! He calls them cabbage pancakes. :D

One of favorites for a chilly winter or autumn day:

Slow Cooker Spicy Cabbage Beef Soup

Prep Time: 15 minutes Cook Time: 6 hours

Servings: 6

Slow Cooker Spicy Cabbage Beef Soup is full of browned ground beef, onion, cabbage and tomatoes. It's a simple soup, but with so much flavor, plus it's low carb.

Equipment

Ingredients
  • 1 pound ground beef
  • 6 cups chopped cabbage, cut into 1-inch pieces
  • 1 medium onion,
  • 1 (15-ounce) can crushed tomatoes
  • 1 (10-ounce) can Rotel tomatoes and green chiles
  • 1 1/3 cups water
  • 2 beef bouillon cubes, crumbled
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon pepper
  • 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
  • 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper

Instructions
  • Brown ground beef in a large nonstick skillet, breaking it apart with a wooden spoon.
  • Place cabbage and onion in a 6-quart slow cooker. Add the cooked ground beef.
  • Add remaining ingredients.
  • Cover and cook on LOW for 6 to 8 hours or on HIGH for 4 to 5 hours.

If you don't want it spicy then add another can of crushed tomatoes or tomato sauce instead of the Ro-Tel.

So far the most interesting use of cabbage I have found is added to taco meat (browned ground beef) and cooked just enough to soften the cabbage and make the flavor mild. Shockingly my kids liked it, and the fussy "no vegetables EVER" kid went back for thirds. I used shredded red cabbage for some visual appeal (although the leftovers the next day looked a bit freaky, lol).

Latest posts

Back