Cabbage Recipes?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Autumn "coleslaw"
For the salad:
1/2 cup pecan halves coarsely chopped
1/2 head (about 1 1/2 lbs) red cabbage, cored
2 large apples (about 1 lb total) such as Gala, Cortland, Empire or Fuji
1/4 cup pitted dates, slivered or chopped
1/3 cup packed fresh cilantro leaves
1 large shallot thinly sliced

For the dressing:
1/4 cup olive oil
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice (from 1 lemon)
2 tbsp honey
1/2 tsp kosher salt, or more as needed
1/2 tsp Aleppo pepper, or more as needed (may substitute sweet paprika)

Steps:
Toast the pecans over medium low heat for about 10 minutes until fragrant and lightly browned, shaking the pan to avoid scorching. Let cool.
Discard the first 2 outer layers of cabbage leaves. Cut the cabbage into very thin slices (if you have a mandoline, use it). The yield should be about 8 cups.
Slice the apples.
Add the apples, dates, cilantro and shallot to the bowl with the cabbage and toss to incorporate.
For the dressing, combine the oil, lemon juice, honey, salt, pepper/paprika in a jar or container with a tight-fitting lid. Seal and shake to form an emulsified dressing.
Pour over the salad and toss to coat evenly. Taste and adjust the salt & pepper/paprika as needed.
Transfer to serving bowl and sprinkle with the pecans.

I find that it is better to make this earlier in the day so that the dressing can soften up the cabbage before serving. I also think that it is better served after being out of the refrigerator for a short while, not quite room temperature but also not really cold.

okonomiyaki pancakes
with brown sauce and japanese mayonnaise

i first tried them as a takeaway dish in a shopping area and then i started making them at home
so easy and tasty and they have a LOT of cabbage in them (as the main flavour/vegetable ingredient)

this recipe link uses a whole cabbage
https://www.justonecookbook.com/okonomiyaki/(it doesnt need to be complex - its a cabbage pancake 😄)

One of our favorites is oriental coleslaw. It calls for a package of shredded coleslaw mix; but you can use your own shredded cabbage.
1 package coleslaw mix
4 green onions, chopped
1 package oriental flavor Ramen noodles
1/2 cup sunflower kernels
1/3 cup sugar
1/3 cup light flavor cooking oil
1/4 cup white vinegar

Crush up Ramen noodles before adding to diced onion, sunflower kernels and coleslaw mix. Toss mixture until well blended Mix flavor packet from oriental Ramen noodles, with sugar, vinegar and cooking oil. Pour over coleslaw mixture and mix well.

This is a versatile side or main that I have used for years. If you are a vegetarian, you can add nuts for protein at the end. If you are a carnivore, you can add the cooked meat of your choice. It's good both ways.

Slice as much cabbage as you desire or will eat in thin ribbons. Slice a carrot for each person on the diagonal. Slice about half an onion for half a head of cabbage. Add a couple of tablespoons of oil to a large skillet or wok. Cook carrots on medium heat until they begin to char. Let them char a bit, it adds a lot of flavor. Add onion and cabbage, folding carrots to the top of the pile, sprinkle with soy sauce to taste, turn heat down, cover and let onions and cabbage caramelize a bit and soften. It usually takes about 10 minutes for this to happen on my stovetop. I never measure anything when I am making this. It's a fly by the seat of your pants recipe, and you can customize it to your likes/dislikes. The only thing that can really go wrong is adding too much soy sauce, so be a bit conservative. You can always add more to taste when you eat it. The soy sauce serves to flavor and pull the water from the cabbage. If it is too wet when I take the lid off, I just stir it on high heat until it is how I like it.

Thanks to everyone for these cabbage recipes. I love cabbage, and with the difficulty in getting fresh vegetables these days, it has provided us with a green vegetable that we we would not have otherwise had in some meals.

Second up, "Pork Chops and Creamy Cabbage", courtesy of @lsg. Verdict: ANOTHER WINNER CABBAGE DINNER!! This method made the pork tender enough to cut with a fork, and the taste of the cabbage was just fabulous. I blanched the bacon and made the cream of mushroom soup because hubby needs low salt. Our little market had pork sirloin strips, so I used those cut into large chunks. So tasty! Thank you, @lsg!

FullSizeRender (47).jpg

FullSizeRender (48).jpg

Anyone care to share a tried and true recipe(s) that uses a lot of cabbage? I already have stuffed cabbage and cabbage rolls. :)
Hubby grows lettuce, arugula, basil, cabbage, etc., hydroponically. So, I'm looking for more recipes to use the delicious cabbage!
This is an amazing way to eat Lamb! It's also Norway's National Dish
Fårikål (Norwegian Lamb & Cabbage Stew)
northwildkitchen.com
Sorry, I don't know how to post links yet. Just look under recipes. It's simple to prepare. Tastes delicious. Even people who don't like lamb LIKE this stew. It takes awhile to cook, so use a slow cooker and make something soapy while you wait!

Second up, "Pork Chops and Creamy Cabbage", courtesy of @lsg. Verdict: ANOTHER WINNER CABBAGE DINNER!! This method made the pork tender enough to cut with a fork, and the taste of the cabbage was just fabulous. I blanched the bacon and made the cream of mushroom soup because hubby needs low salt. Our little market had pork sirloin strips, so I used those cut into large chunks. So tasty! Thank you, @lsg!

View attachment 52986
View attachment 52985
@lsg Do you think you could sub the Cream of Mushroom for Cream of Chicken or Cream of Celery? I'm not a huge CoM fan, but in some recipes, such as green bean casserole, you really need it vs celery or chicken.

Anyone care to share a tried and true recipe(s) that uses a lot of cabbage? I already have stuffed cabbage and cabbage rolls. :)
Hubby grows lettuce, arugula, basil, cabbage, etc., hydroponically. So, I'm looking for more recipes to use the delicious cabbage!

Ethiopian Cabbage and Carrot

I brought this dish to a potluck and as a vegetarian dish. It is healthy and delicious. Do not add liquid. The cabbage will release enough moisture on its own.

½ cup olive oil

4 carrots, thinly sliced

1 onion, thinly sliced

1 onion, thinly sliced

1 teaspoon sea salt

½ teaspoon ground black pepper

½ teaspoon ground cumin

¼ teaspoon ground turmeric

1 head of cabbage, shredded

• Heat the olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Cook the carrots and onion in the hot oil about 5 minutes. Stir in the salt, pepper, cumin, turmeric, and cabbage one handful at a time and cook until wilted. I add in 2 tablespoons of butter right before I place it in a serving dish.

@lsg Do you think you could sub the Cream of Mushroom for Cream of Chicken or Cream of Celery? I'm not a huge CoM fan, but in some recipes, such as green bean casserole, you really need it vs celery or chicken.
I think cream of chicken would be fine.

When I'm lazy I do a cabbage stir fry.. Lots of garlic n onions, tomatoes, chilis, the cabbage of course (not too thin strips) and whatever else I might have that goes with (usually it's carrots lol). If it's one of those days there's nothing else then I don't mind just the cabbage. Could be as simple as that, or you could add a few spices - most go with cabbage.

We eat it with rice. With fried fish mostly, but goes well with fried meat as well. Or you can throw those in one pot haha

I'm not a huge cabbage fan, but my favorite thing is the heart or core. When my mother cooked cabbage, she would save me the heart. I would eat it raw, sometimes with just a little salt.
Ha! That's my favorite part too!

Pork Chops and Creamy Cabbage

INGREDIENTS:
4 pork chops or 4 slices pork loin (about 5 oz. meat each)
5 thick slices of bacon
4 oz. chopped yellow onion
1/2
1½ c. mushroom soup for recipes
20 oz. coarsely chopped green cabbage (1″-2″ chunks)
¼ tsp. salt
¼ tsp. black pepper
VARIATION: This is excellent made with boneless chicken breasts or other pieces instead
of pork.
DIRECTIONS: Chop bacon into ½” pieces. Brown in skillet. Then add the onion and
saute until onion begins to soften. Add cabbage and continue to saute 2 minutes only.
Add mushroom soup and stir to mix all ingredients. Pour into glass casserole dish greased
with bacon grease. Wipe out skillet with paper towel and rub with dab (really minimal)
bacon grease. Sear meat on both sides and the place chops atop cabbage. Bake at 350º for
40 minutes. (I fixed my recipe in the Instant Pot and it turned out great.)

Can you detail the process for making this in an Instant Pot? I made it last night but I messed it up pretty thoroughly. It wasn't bad but it wasn't great. I had to remove the chicken and cook the cabbage for another 10 minutes.

I fried my bacon in a skillet and used the grease to saute the onions. I browned my pork chops in the Instant Pot, removed them and sauteed the cabbage. Added the bacon, onion and mushroom soup and 1/2 can of water along with salt and pepper. I stirred this mixture. I put the pork chops on top of the cabbage mixture and pressured on high for 25 minutes.

UNSTUFFED CABBAGE ROLLS
Ingredients:
1 1/2 to 2 pounds lean ground beef
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
1 large onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
1 small cabbage, chopped
2 cans (14.5 ounces each) low sodium diced tomatoes
1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
1/2 cup water
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 teaspoon sea salt
Directions:
In a large skillet, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add the ground beef and onion and cook, stirring, until ground beef is no longer pink and onion is tender.
Add the garlic and continue cooking for 1 minute.
Add the chopped cabbage, tomatoes, tomato sauce, pepper, and salt. Bring to a boil. Cover and simmer for 20 to 30 minutes, or until cabbage is tender.
Yield: Serves 6 to 8.
Here are my tweaks for this recipe which is in the oven now. One ham hock cooked with a can of stewed tomatoes, chicken broth, and allspice in an Instant pot for 50 min on high pressure with 3-4 cup liquid to make a flavorful broth. I added a large jar of Saurkraut, smoked sausage, Large head cabbage cut in half cut very thickly, 50/50 hamburger, pork sausage, 1 cup white rice, small can tomato paste, 2 cans stewed tomatoes, few slices bacon rendered to cook lg onion in. Mix in all together in a roaster, I used my 7 qt roaster, with seasonings of pepper, salt, a titch of lemon juice, allspice, and red pepper, bake at 350-375ººF until rice is soft. I will update times and if more or less liquid is needed. These are the same seasonings and ingredients I use when making Sarma (stuffed cabbage). I learned how to make Sarma from my late Armenian MIL It took 1.5 hrs to bake and I had to add in at least 3 more cups liquid. It did not turn out soupy, but tasted just like Sarma.

Last edited:
The next deliciousness is @cmzaha's Cabbage and Noodles. Once again, WINNER CABBAGE DINNER! See, THIS is why I love this "place". I knew I'd get some good tried and true recipes. Wahoo!
I will confess I did have a hard time mixing the noodles in, but that's because I had a LOT of cabbage in that pan. LOL. Again, I blanched (boiled) the bacon before frying it in keeping with our low salt menus. I added a can of low sodium white beans because that's what the dish smelled like it wanted. I had no smoked sausage, and we decided we'd definitely do the smoke sausage next time. Thank you, @cmzaha !!
Next up will be @earlene 's Sautéed cabbage with sesame seeds, but that won't be for another 4-6 weeks. Love me some sesame oil so I'm looking forward to it! :)
IMG_5045.JPG

IMG_5048.JPG

IMG_5047.JPG

Okie dokie, a beautiful cabbage was finally ready for harvest. The next recipe was @earlene's Sautéed cabbage with sesame seeds.
Once again, we have a WINNER, people! This was delicious and was indeed something I could have had as a meal alone. For dinner with hubs, though, I added roasted sweet potatoes and some chicken in orange sauce. The consensus was that this dish will become one of our "goto" sides. Cook: ummm...SESAME SEED OIL! Eaters: Yummmmmm. Thank you, Earlene!!

IMG_5158.JPG

Back