Cabbage Recipes?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KimW

Reaction score
Anyone care to share a tried and true recipe(s) that uses a lot of cabbage? I already have stuffed cabbage and cabbage rolls. :)
Hubby grows lettuce, arugula, basil, cabbage, etc., hydroponically. So, I'm looking for more recipes to use the delicious cabbage!

Pork Chops and Creamy Cabbage

INGREDIENTS:
4 pork chops or 4 slices pork loin (about 5 oz. meat each)
5 thick slices of bacon
4 oz. chopped yellow onion
1/2 water
1½ c. mushroom soup for recipes
20 oz. coarsely chopped green cabbage (1″-2″ chunks)
¼ tsp. salt
¼ tsp. black pepper
VARIATION: This is excellent made with boneless chicken breasts or other pieces instead
of pork.
DIRECTIONS: Chop bacon into ½” pieces. Brown in skillet. Then add the onion and
saute until onion begins to soften. Add cabbage and continue to saute 2 minutes only.
Add mushroom soup and stir to mix all ingredients. Pour into glass casserole dish greased
with bacon grease. Wipe out skillet with paper towel and rub with dab (really minimal)
bacon grease. Sear meat on both sides and the place chops atop cabbage. Bake at 350º for
40 minutes. (I fixed my recipe in the Instant Pot and it turned out great.)

Last edited:
Fried Cabbage and noodles. Fry up some bacon Add in a little sugar unless your cabbage is really sweet. Shred your cabbage coarsely Lightly salt and let drain in a colander to remove water, I like to lightly rinse the salt, optional, squeeze as much water out as you can then add your cabbage to hot bacon fat, fry to a nice light caramelized color then add in cooked noodles. This is not the healthiest meal but sure is yummy. We like it with smoked sausage. It takes a couple of good size heads of cabbage because it really cooks down. We like more cooked cabbage than noodles.

UNSTUFFED CABBAGE ROLLS
Ingredients:
1 1/2 to 2 pounds lean ground beef
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
1 large onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
1 small cabbage, chopped
2 cans (14.5 ounces each) low sodium diced tomatoes
1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
1/2 cup water
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 teaspoon sea salt
Directions:
In a large skillet, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add the ground beef and onion and cook, stirring, until ground beef is no longer pink and onion is tender.
Add the garlic and continue cooking for 1 minute.
Add the chopped cabbage, tomatoes, tomato sauce, pepper, and salt. Bring to a boil. Cover and simmer for 20 to 30 minutes, or until cabbage is tender.
Yield: Serves 6 to 8.

Sautéed cabbage with sesame seeds.

My SIL makes this, which is where I learned to make it and I love it. Slice fresh cabbage thinly, making long noodle-like strings of cabbage as you slice. Thinly slice white onion to taste. I tend to use about 1/4 the amount of onion as I do cabbage, but choose the amount you prefer. Sautée in a wok or large skillet in sesame oil until the onion caramelizes & the cabbage begins to become translucent. Lower the heat as needed to avoid burning the cabbage. (Another oil can be used if you don't have sesame, however, I particularly like the taste of sesame oil.) Add a pinch of salt, pepper to taste, stir, then sprinkle with sesame seeds of your choice (I like plain, but I also like this with black sesame seeds; for variety try it with a mix of both.) Cook a bit longer to lightly toast the sesame seeds & bring out their flavor, while stirring to ensure even toasting and to avoid burning.

Serve hot as a side dish, or if you prefer as a delicious snack, or if you are like me, it might even be a main dish, depending on how much you make (and if you are in the mood to eat only veggies).

I have seen recipes for something similar that includes julienne carrots & peppers, but I have not tried this any other way, as I love it with just cabbage, onion and sesame seeds.

Cabbage in Soup

I make a lot of soup and cabbage is one of the essential ingredients in my base vegetables. So with any winter (or any other season, if you are like me), cabbage is a soup staple.

I sautée chopped onions, garlic, cabbage, peppers, celery, carrots, with a bit of salt to bring out the sweetness of the onion & peppers. Although cabbage is not one of the most common of the aromatics, it lends a wonderful flavor to soup as well as being nutritious and a good source of vitamin K, needed for healthy bones, protein formation & blood clotting. Thyme and bay leaves are also essential to my soups, as is a mixture called Bryannas vegan chicken style broth-powder, although I often also add a spoonful or two of a powdered pepper gravy base as thickener.

There are soups called 'cabbage soup', although it is usually not the main ingredient in my soups. Cabbage soups tend to be mostly cabbage & tomatoes in my observation, but having not made soup with cabbage as it's main ingredient, I cannot attest to the deliciousness of any one such recipe, however there are a few that look pretty good on the recipe websites that can be found online.

Corned Beef & Cabbage was my signature meal as a teen, taught by my mother

I have not made real corned beef in years, since I no longer eat meat and my husband didn't seem to crave this very salty dish, so I won't belabor the point with a recipe. They are abundant on the web, anyway. But it uses a lot of cabbage and I must say, the taste of cabbage soaked with the corned beef brine was my favorite part of this dish.

I have since learned to make a seitan equivalent, but again, recipes are abundant on the web. My point is, lots of cabbage, which is delicious with the brine flavor it soaks up during the cook.

I love this slaw: date, feta and red cabbage salad

Aunt Maizie's slaw (family recipe), which actually keeps pretty well in the refrigerator.
1 medium head of cabbage, shredded
2-3 carrots, grated
1 bell pepper, grated or chopped fine
2 small onions, chopped fine
1/2 tsp celery seed
chopped parsley leaves (optional)
Mix together:
1/2 cup sugar, 1/2 cup cider vinegar, 5 tablespoons light oil, and 1 teaspoon of salt until dissolved. Combine with cabbage. Let it sit in the refrigerator for an hour or so before serving.

Last edited:
Fried Cabbage and noodles. Fry up some bacon Add in a little sugar unless your cabbage is really sweet. Shred your cabbage coarsely Lightly salt and let drain in a colander to remove water, I like to lightly rinse the salt, optional, squeeze as much water out as you can then add your cabbage to hot bacon fat, fry to a nice light caramelized color then add in cooked noodles. This is not the healthiest meal but sure is yummy. We like it with smoked sausage. It takes a couple of good size heads of cabbage because it really cooks down. We like more cooked cabbage than noodles.
My grandmother made the BEST cabbage with egg noodles! I really should try cooking up a batch soon as I haven't had this in years.

1 lb ground beef, venison or venison sausage
1 medium onion, chopped
3.5 cups shredded cabbage (or sliced long and thin) I usually use 1 small head or 1/2 of a medium head
1 zucchini, sliced or grated (optional)
32-oz carton tomato soup (I like roasted red pepper and tomato by Pacifica)

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Pacific-Foods-Organic-Creamy-Roasted-Red-Pepper-and-Tomato-Soup-32-fl-oz/15529700?wmlspartner=wlpa&adid=22222222227000000000&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=42423897272&wl4=aud-566049426705:pla-51320962143&wl5=9052156&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl10=8175035&wl11=online&wl12=15529700&veh=sem&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIoI_q0-zV5QIVIueGCh3e4QBXEAQYBCABEgIoRvD_BwE
1 can diced green chilis (specific brand doesn’t really matter. NOT Jalapeño!)
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Ortega-Diced-Green-Chiles-4-oz/10320500
1/4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce (I like Cholula)
Optional: Parmesan cheese or cottage cheese
Directions:
In a pot, brown meat and onion; drain. Add cabbage and zucchini. Cook and stir 8 minutes.
Add soup, green chilis, pepper sauce. Bring to a boil Reduce heat, cover, simmer for 5 minutes, or until cabbage is done.
Add cheese to taste. Freezes well.

Corned Beef & Cabbage was my signature meal as a teen, taught by my mother

I have not made real corned beef in years, since I no longer eat meat and my husband didn't seem to crave this very salty dish, so I won't belabor the point with a recipe. They are abundant on the web, anyway. But it uses a lot of cabbage and I must say, the taste of cabbage soaked with the corned beef brine was my favorite part of this dish.

I have since learned to make a seitan equivalent, but again, recipes are abundant on the web. My point is, lots of cabbage, which is delicious with the brine flavor it soaks up during the cook.
Just had Corned Beef & Cabbage last night. My husband is Armenian and Romanian so we like Cabbage in lots of ways.
Sauerkraut is delicious and as Obsidian mentioned not hard to make. My first boyfriend's grammy used to make a huge crock of sauerkraut every year. It was fantastic.

Thank you all so very much! We're going to start this evening with @Obsidian's unstuffed Cabbage, ONLY because we just had pork roast. Then, I'm going to go in order and try all of these. Well, ok, not the corned beef. There are only two things that I have found I can not stomach in the least: Corned Beef, and Tuna Casserole. Believe me, I've tried, and I just can't get past the smell though I understand they are delicious. LOL Btw - here's a pic from last year of hubby with one of his beauties. :)
john_hydro_cabbage.jpg

Cabbage in Soup
Any soup is good soup in my book, and at any time of year!

First up, @Obsidian's Unstuffed Cabbage Rolls. Unanimous Opinion: WINNER, WINNER, CABBAGE DINNER. The cook's (me) opinion: DELICIOUS and probably the easiest recipe I've ever tried that yields something so tasty - so thrilled. I was surprised it needed so much pepper, but I followed the recipe and was glad of it. Now, we are warmed from the inside out, which is fantastic since hubby will be snow-blowing the drive in a few minutes. Thank you again!

Attachments

• FullSizeRender (20).jpg
    FullSizeRender (20).jpg
    326.7 KB · Views: 22
  • FullSizeRender (19).jpg
    FullSizeRender (19).jpg
    299.8 KB · Views: 24
Look away, Koreans and connoisseurs of Korean cuisine! ResolvableOwl has made kimchi again!
kimchi.jpg
Well, technically I have only prepared it, and let the bacteria feast in there do the dirty work for me.
It's a loose variant of basic standard kimchi recipes like Maangchi's Tongbaechu-kimchi that went viral. Don't ask me how this would be called, my Korean is a bit, umm, rusty.
Main ingredient is cabbage; I subbed white cabbage for the napa cabbage, that works equally well, and is a bit more fleshy than smudgy. I also cut it into much smaller pieces than in many original recipes, since I like how it is easier to scoop out of a jar that way. Red cabbage gives a crazy magenta colour to the suds!
Only extra vegetables this time are ginger and carrots (I've had fennel bulbs, leek, parsnip and a few other things with great success too). Either finely sliced with my recently sharpened soap planer™.

Yes, you've read right. No garlic, no radish. While I like them a lot, I found that they are the main culprits for the disputed smell with which kimchi tends to hog fridges, sometimes whole flats.

I cut the cabbage into 2 cm pieces, sprinkle salt over them, and let them sit for about an hour, with occasional turning. Meanwhile, I mixed soy sauce (sub for fish sauce for me the fish hater), planed ginger + carrots, and the gochugaru (Korean pepper flakes) in a separate bowl. Some extra salt and something sugary (apple juice in this case) for the bacteria to have something to eat in the first few days until the rot of the cabbage has picked up speed.
Washing cabbage, combining the two parts, and scooping it into large glass jars (glass is great because you can watch/take photos what is going on inside!).
Really no witchery, and no precise measurements, because I find it's best to have some “feeling” about it. And kimchi is a “strong ferment” in the sense that, as long as it doesn't catch mould, it pretty much cannot fail. In fact, I haven't found out yet how “elastic” this recipe is, how much one can modify without failure. But honestly, it's yummy enough that I don't need to find out anyway.😋

Now, let ferment a week or two at room temperature (about 24°C here rn). Then into the basement or fridge, and eat up in whatever way you prefer. I personally don't like to heat it up, I like the raw taste more. My favourite atm is to wrap it into a tortilla.

(The actual reason why I'm replying to this oldish thread, slightly outside kimchi season, is that my eye always gets distracted by the “Chocolate cake” thread in the SMF forum overview, and now it'll get caught by the “cabbage recipes” thread 🙄)

Last edited:
Look away, Koreans and connoisseurs of Korean cuisine! ResolvableOwl has made kimchi again!
View attachment 58636
Well, technically I have only prepared it, and let the bacteria feast in there do the dirty work for me.
It's a loose variant of basic standard kimchi recipes like Maangchi's Tongbaechu-kimchi that went viral. Don't ask me how this would be called, my Korean is a bit, umm, rusty.
Main ingredient is cabbage; I subbed white cabbage for the napa cabbage, that works equally well, and is a bit more fleshy than smudgy. I also cut it into much smaller pieces than in many original recipes, since I like how it is easier to scoop out of a jar that way. Red cabbage gives a crazy magenta colour to the suds!
Only extra vegetables this time are ginger and carrots (I've had fennel bulbs, leek, parsnip and a few other things with great success too). Either finely sliced with my recently sharpened soap planer™.

Yes, you've read right. No garlic, no radish. While I like them a lot, I found that they are the main culprits for the disputed smell with which kimchi tends to hog fridges, sometimes whole flats.

I cut the cabbage into 2 cm pieces, sprinkle salt over them, and let them sit for about an hour, with occasional turning. Meanwhile, I mixed soy sauce (sub for fish sauce
This looks amazing!

Latest posts

Back