Cabbage juice, testing PH

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hanes5711

Reaction score
I have read lots on preparing the cabbage leaves. Methods include: straight from blender, boil, freeze... Is there a difference in how the test will turn out.. Also, the amount of cabbage differs per recipe? Will this effect how the test will turn out.. Last question. Can I make a bunch of cabbage juice and freeze it for future use?

If you're planning to use this as a means of testing for excess lye, allow me to discourage the idea- it won't work as intended. If you're using the purple cabbage (you were not specific there) the extraction will simply change colors (blue or red I believe, if memory serves me right) depending on the pH level. At best, you're replicating a junior high school level experiment.

You may find this article of interest. How to pH Test Soap the Right Way & Why It Matters!

Particularly note this passage:
It's much easier to identify lye-heaviness through visual cues, like the presence of liquid pockets or crystallization, rather than pH testing soap. If there is an unknown liquid or substances seeping out of a soap, a pH test can help you identify if the liquid is lye solution or separated oil, fragrance, or another additive. pH testing handmade your soap to confirm a suspicion when troubleshooting is the first step in knowing how to correct it. .... However, pH testing your soap should not be used as the sole quality control measure, as it can be unreliable.

You may find this article of interest. How to pH Test Soap the Right Way & Why It Matters!

Particularly note this passage:
It's much easier to identify lye-heaviness through visual cues, like the presence of liquid pockets or crystallization, rather than pH testing soap. If there is an unknown liquid or substances seeping out of a soap, a pH test can help you identify if the liquid is lye solution or separated oil, fragrance, or another additive. pH testing handmade your soap to confirm a suspicion when troubleshooting is the first step in knowing how to correct it. .... However, pH testing your soap should not be used as the sole quality control measure, as it can be unreliable.
yes, just another way for me to add knowledge

Back