C3 soy wax in soap?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sarahmarah

Reaction score
I’ve been using C3 soy wax in my vegan soap because it’s the only soy wax I have on hand besides 464. I wasn’t sure if there was a reason that I shouldn’t use it? Are the soy based additives detrimental to the soap?

What's are the additives?
My only experience with additives is what the 444 has, which is labeled as 2% soy based additive, and the results of an experiment in using 40% of it (I know, too much lol) is here.

I so need to try a better percentage to see if I'll get better results. I'm curious to see what the answers will be....

What's are the additives?
My only experience with additives is what the 444 has, which is labeled as 2% soy based additive, and the results of an experiment in using 40% of it (I know, too much lol) is here.

I so need to try a better percentage to see if I'll get better results. I'm curious to see what the answers will be....

Thank you 😊
C3 has soy based additives as well— I’m not sure the exact percentage. I think 444 may have a higher melt point but I don’t have experience with it. I’ve used between 2-8% C3 in my last 5 small batches to see how it would perform. I was nervous that using a lot would trace very quickly. It seems to be ok at a low percentage soaping at 90F so long as I’m easy with the stick blender and have a behaving FO.

Hi there.
From my research and emails with the Cargill people who created C3 - they add coconut based additives as well. That is all they would tell me. Believe me I tried to get the % from them. So I experimented with adding coconut oil of various room temp qualities in soy wax - I used 464 to test. Then I made candle tests and compared burn rates yada yada. It worked out to be 2% coconut . So when I add C3 to my soaps I punch in an extra 2% into the coconut oil column to get the correct saponification . Hope this helps.

Latest posts

Back