By days end today......

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dreams

Reaction score
First off thank you for the except...I have been reading and reading till I think I understand something then I have myself all confused all over again...I havent made a batch yet cause I cant get my #to add up to where my palmitic +stearic to go above 20 to get a lasting bar or my lauric+myristic above 20 to get hard bar from what ive read...Im looking to make a soap that a woman would find gentle and moisturizing and a man to find the right amount of cleansing to where I have a one fits all or willing to do seprate open for anything and want to make a lotion bar also..my oils and butter I have to work with are evoo,oop,conola,coconut oil76,aloe vera oil,rice bran,castor,sunflower,soybean,grapeseed and shea butter...I dont want to use tallow,lard or palm..I have tried to configurate a few recipes on soapcalc but keep getting stuck...why? cause I decided I wanted to start a hobby to try and turn into a business to help with my depression and high functioning anxiety so one day candles came to mind but this is how my mind works..I was worried about getting the wick an container size right so it wouldnt break or to high flame and everything that could go wrong and would with me :) so I thought.. if i could learn cp soap making wicking a candle would be a heck of alot easier not sure the connection but thats my mind..cause I did want to branch off into soap after candles just doing it the other way around now..so I bought oils have been reading and will read till the cows come home and still be confused so BY DAY END TODAY I WILL MAKE MY FIRST BATCH with your help please :).I dont like to ask for help so Im trying to learn that also..trying to learn cp is not helping my anxiety at all it is making it go haywire so I want to make today and get it over im not worried about the lye im worried about messing it up and wasting the oils but i know that apart of learning but it still hits the pocket..thank you for reading my ramble and for help im going to include a few pic of what i have caculated and any ifo would help or if you can come up with something from the oils above and the descriptions of what looking for would be greatly appreciate by me for my sanity thank you in advance :)
Screenshot_2021-01-06-22-31-58.png

Different oils will give you different cleansing and bubble levels. I use soapee calculator and it helps me figure out a recipe. Coconut oil is high cleansing but very drying to skin, so if using coconut oil, pair it with a moisturizing one like shea butter. Palm oil will give lots of bubbles and so will castor oil.
I'd suggest trying these oils together to start. Use the soapee calculator to play with the oils percentage to create your recipe to how you like it (more or less bubbles / cleansing etc.)

Coconut oil
Castor
Sunflower
Shea

Good luck!

First off thank you for the except...I have been reading and reading till I think I understand something then I have myself all confused all over again...I havent made a batch yet cause I cant get my #to add up to where my palmitic +stearic to go above 20 to get a lasting bar or my lauric+myristic above 20 to get hard bar from what ive read...Im looking to make a soap that a woman would find gentle and moisturizing and a man to find the right amount of cleansing to where I have a one fits all or willing to do seprate open for anything and want to make a lotion bar also..my oils and butter I have to work with are evoo,oop,conola,coconut oil76,aloe vera oil,rice bran,castor,sunflower,soybean,grapeseed and shea butter...I dont want to use tallow,lard or palm..I have tried to configurate a few recipes on soapcalc but keep getting stuck...why? cause I decided I wanted to start a hobby to try and turn into a business to help with my depression and high functioning anxiety so one day candles came to mind but this is how my mind works..I was worried about getting the wick an container size right so it wouldnt break or to high flame and everything that could go wrong and would with me :) so I thought.. if i could learn cp soap making wicking a candle would be a heck of alot easier not sure the connection but thats my mind..cause I did want to branch off into soap after candles just doing it the other way around now..so I bought oils have been reading and will read till the cows come home and still be confused so BY DAY END TODAY I WILL MAKE MY FIRST BATCH with your help please :).I dont like to ask for help so Im trying to learn that also..trying to learn cp is not helping my anxiety at all it is making it go haywire so I want to make today and get it over im not worried about the lye im worried about messing it up and wasting the oils but i know that apart of learning but it still hits the pocket..thank you for reading my ramble and for help im going to include a few pic of what i have caculated and any ifo would help or if you can come up with something from the oils above and the descriptions of what looking for would be greatly appreciate by me for my sanity thank you in advance :)View attachment 53072
Also I suggest watching YouTube channels called "Royalty Soaps" or "Brambleberry". Jist watching someone else could help a lot with learning what to do 😊

First off thank you for the except...I have been reading and reading till I think I understand something then I have myself all confused all over again...I havent made a batch yet cause I cant get my #to add up to where my palmitic +stearic to go above 20 to get a lasting bar or my lauric+myristic above 20 to get hard bar from what ive read...Im looking to make a soap that a woman would find gentle and moisturizing and a man to find the right amount of cleansing to where I have a one fits all or willing to do seprate open for anything and want to make a lotion bar also..my oils and butter I have to work with are evoo,oop,conola,coconut oil76,aloe vera oil,rice bran,castor,sunflower,soybean,grapeseed and shea butter...I dont want to use tallow,lard or palm..I have tried to configurate a few recipes on soapcalc but keep getting stuck...why? cause I decided I wanted to start a hobby to try and turn into a business to help with my depression and high functioning anxiety so one day candles came to mind but this is how my mind works..I was worried about getting the wick an container size right so it wouldnt break or to high flame and everything that could go wrong and would with me :) so I thought.. if i could learn cp soap making wicking a candle would be a heck of alot easier not sure the connection but thats my mind..cause I did want to branch off into soap after candles just doing it the other way around now..so I bought oils have been reading and will read till the cows come home and still be confused so BY DAY END TODAY I WILL MAKE MY FIRST BATCH with your help please :).I dont like to ask for help so Im trying to learn that also..trying to learn cp is not helping my anxiety at all it is making it go haywire so I want to make today and get it over im not worried about the lye im worried about messing it up and wasting the oils but i know that apart of learning but it still hits the pocket..thank you for reading my ramble and for help im going to include a few pic of what i have caculated and any ifo would help or if you can come up with something from the oils above and the descriptions of what looking for would be greatly appreciate by me for my sanity thank you in advance :)View attachment 53072
Also one more thing to note. The longer a bar cures for the harder it will get, so don't worry too much about that.

Now hit the " calculate recipe" button and look at the soap qualities from your recipe.
Use the " multiple tab" button to keep track of any oil changes you make and the changes to the soap because of them.
You are on the right track.!

So did you make soap? How did it go? Do not worry about asking for help on this forum. It's totally normal to ask for advice and feedback, and why I've hung out here for so long!

If you still are looking for a recipe, try searching this forum or Google for a beginner's recipe -- but run it through a lye calculator. I started with others' recipes and then only later started experimenting with different ingredients and playing with a calculator. That worked for me. Initially I focused on getting comfortable with lye, learning about trace, learning when to unmold and cut, etc. It's a lot to learn initially without the added pressure of finding the perfect recipe.

In the middle of your post you mentioned lotion bars. I love making lotion bars because you get nearly instant results. And if you don't like it, you can just melt and modify your recipe. My go to recipe is 1/3 each of beeswax, coconut oil, shea butter (or cocoa butter). Way, way easier than cp!

I, too, can get nervous making cold process soap myself and it can trigger my perfectionist tendencies. However, after soaping for a few years now, soaping has given me a sense of mastery and confidence. I let go of what I want and am happy for what I get -- soap does what it wants to. :)

Good luck to you and keep us posted.

Back