Buying Destash? Research before using.

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

commoncenz

Reaction score
I recently had the opportunity to travel two hours away. While there, I met a lady who was closing her soaping operations and looking to get rid of some of her fragrance oils. They were all bought within the last 6 months and she showed me purchase orders etc. That wasn't the issue.

What WAS/IS the issue? She also made candles. So I specifically asked her if the FOs I was purchasing were skin safe. She answered positively and I (being in a bit of a rush and also being blindly trusting) took her word for it.

Fast forward. Today was an off day. So I was going to make a Coffee scented soap. I figured since I had an Almond Biscotti FO in the "Destash Group", I'd try it out in a blend with a Starbucks Coffee I had.

Everything went smoothly. The batter behaved. The scent blend was heavenly. Colors came out perfectly. A hangar swirl done at light trace looked like it was going to be perfect. I covered the soap and insulated it and then began my clean up.

"What's This?" ... "If contact occurs with skin, wash affected area immediately" ... Yep, the Almond Biscotti was definitely NOT skin safe (checked it out at the suppliers website to be sure). So, a batch ruined and a lesson learned.

I have since checked the other bottles of FO I purchased from the lady. Looked each individual FO up at the supplier's websites. All the rest are skin safe. Although it makes me wonder if maybe part of the reason she was ending her operations was that her soaps were causing rashes etc.

OHHH....that sucks. Feel your pain! :-(

Sounds like something I would do! Hmmm...maybe I should be watching craigslist... :) never thought of that! :)

It is so easy to make a goof like that when purchasing de-stash. I actually did a similar from someone in our forum. She actually ended up making money with the way she had done her pricing. She was a person that would have purchased in bulk, which we all know is cheaper, and was selling at the 1 oz price. One item was a good buy so I did not take the time to check all the prices. I only grumbled all the way home that I had been ripped off, and was mostly mad at myself because I know better. Check prices and as you mentioned check for body safe when fragrances are involved.

Maybe you can find someone that makes candles or use it in a room freshener, incense sticks, melts, fire starters, etc.

I made this mistake with fragrance oil that was given to me and I made a batch without checking. My family and I used that batch. I would never sell it but after testing it and making sure none of reacted we used it.

Most (non skin ) fragrances simply are not tested in skin care products because of the extra expense. Certainly NEVER sell it! However if you are brave you might try it yourself - just be aware there might be a problem.

Dory, I don't sell as it is. And I would definitely not sell this as I wouldn't feel ethical doing such. I was thinking I might just allow it to harden up, grate it up and put it in some potpourri bags. The FO blend is pretty strong and if it stays that way, it'll be a way to use it so that it's not a total waste.

Maybe grate some for laundry soap as well? The scents people use (like Purex, which is made for the laundry) aren't skin safe, but given that they get rinsed off, that doesn't seem to matter much.

I'd reserve it for your own laundry, of course, and not give it away.

Back