Butterscotch Baking Chips

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KimW

Reaction score
Has anyone every made Butterscotch Baking Chips from scratch who would care to share their recipe? Can't find them up here and while I know I can order them online, I thought maybe I could try making them. I was failing miserably at making Butterscotch candy until @cmzaha helped me out (thank you! deliciousness abounds), so maybe someone here has actually succeeded in making the baking chips too.

FYI: I found some recipes online, but could tell they would really just make thick butterscotch sauce, or funky butterscotch candy. I actually tried one and found I was right - thick butterscotch sauce. I'm thinking I need to add Palm Kernel oil to make actual baking chips. This, because Palm Kernel oil or hydrogenated Palm is an ingredient on every Butterscotch package I found online. I have the "real-deal" Palm Kernel oil, but I bought it for soaping and so I don't know that it's actually food safe. Thought about adding a little organic (labeled as "food safe") bees wax...but then...hmmmm

Ideas?!!! :D

Sounds fun! I'd add the PKO. You can always melt it and strain it first if you have concerns. Or add vegetable shortening if you have that; it's usually some form of palm oil. Now you have me wanting butterscotch chips!!

I wish I saw this sooner. If you bought your palm oil from anywhere other than a vitamin shop or a grocery store (or amazon) I would advise against using it for cooking or baking.

Latest posts

Back