Butters/Oils?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mothi

Reaction score
So I have seen somewhere that you end up with a ratio of oil to butter. Butters making the soap harder? Tell me if I am misunderstanding any of this.

My current recipe uses olive oil, coconut oil, palm oil, and sweet almond oil. No butters. Should I be using butters? What ratio of butter to oil is needed?

Without butter does the soap tend to disappear faster when in use?

I haven't had a chance to test my 3 batches of soap I have made (well other than an attempt at milling the first batch into liquid soap which has thickened now to slush soap).

I am not a CPer, but it is not as simple as that. Some oils make a hard bar of soap while others make a softer bar. There are lots of other factors that play into the hardness of a bar of soap. Butters add other properties, shea butter make a soap silkier. Someone who CP often like Irena or Smellitlikeitis will have to come through w/ more info. I would say soapmaker man, but he is out of commission for a few days.

You might want to play around with SAP values. Some oils make a softer soap, other oils; like olive; will make a harder bar.
I go for a balanced bar ie: conditioning, lathering, soothing etc...
What feels good to your skin. might feel drying on someone else.
It took me quite a while playing around with different oils and butters to come up with a formula which I currently use.

PS. I don't use Almond oil, as I have had DOS issues with it. It also makes for a softer bar.

Hope that helps.
Irena

Back