Buttermilk Honey soap. Will it get too hot?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boyago

Reaction score
So I put together this recipe and was curious if the sugars in the milk and honey would be too much and become disasterous. Any advice on calculating sugars or getting a feel for too much would appreciated. My recipe for a two pound batch is as follows:

Olive Oil 20.8oz or 589.67g
Coconut Oil 8oz 226.796g
Castor Oil 3.2oz 90.718g

Lye 4.55oz 129.1g
H2O 4.55oz 129.1g

Buttermilk 7.6oz 215.456g
Honey 1oz 28.35g

Too much sugar or can I safely bump up the honey?

Your fine on your honey amounts- I wouldn't bump it up with the milk. I had a Buttermilk soap (without honey) crack on me so I would put it in the freezer as well like Goat Milk Soap.
Everything looks good as is.

You could very slightly increase the honey, as long as you keep everything cool - but I'm not sure that you need to ...... And I would definitely keep the soap in the freezer for at least 2 or 3 hours, then in the fridge for another few hours to prevent partial gel or any over-heating/eruptions!

(A tip if you're using thick or difficult-to-pour honey, is to mix it with a tblsp of buttermilk or water, to ensure that its runny enough to blend into the soap batter evenly, and add it at trace.)

Sent from my iPad using Soap Making

I also recommend heating up a little water (or your buttermilk) and mixing your honey in it before adding at trace. This will help to make sure that it blends in better.

Latest posts

Back