Butter Soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I finally got around to trying butters in soaps. (I've been doing mostly lard and castille though I've made other types, just hadn't ventured into butters yet and wanted to expand my borizons). A week in I already really like my triple butter with aloe juice and yoghurt powder. I poured my leftover batter into a guest soap mold and have been using it at the sink. I am shocked at the abundance of creamy bubbles. It feels nice, too! I'm already planning two more variations on this formula so I can see which I like best. I always like to try my soaps every week or so through the curing period because a) I lack patience and b) it's a great way for me to learn how new to me soap evolves over the cure. Any tips on what to expect over time from a higher butter soap? And should I plan on a 3-4 month cure to the magic point? I used 30% butters but next tweaks will be smaller amount and more high oleic liquids. TIA!

Hope

A high percentage of butters may cut down on the bubbly lather. I usually don't use over 15% butter.

Your soap will only get better with cure time, better lather, and more gentle. I do not necessarily believe that butters cut lather since my 59% shea butter soap lathers like my regular soaps without upping my CO, in fact, I use less CO in my shea soap. I cannot say about using high Cocoa butter soap since I keep Cocoa butter at15% due to cost.

Back