Butter recommendations

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Todd Ziegler

Circle Z soaps
Reaction score
1. Mango
2. Shea
3. Coco Unrefined
4. Cocoa butter white
5. Murumuru
6. Shorea (illipe)
7. Kokum
8. Allanblackia butter
9. Coco/mango/shea mix

I got these butters for other projects but I have decided not to do the other projects. So I decided to use them in some small batch CP soaps before they become unusable.

I would like to know if anyone has any experience using butters 5-8 in particular or any of the other ones you might have used.

What did you think about the finished soap and what percentage did you use, what SF % did you use and what % lye/water did you use?

I know that is a lot of questions and I will be grateful for any comments.

I have used no. 7 for soap at 10% before. It was a nice, hard bar, almost brittle as I recall (but I use a high % of hard fats). I almost always use 33% lye concentration and 2% superfat.
But some of these butters seem too nice to waste them in soap :)

I have used no. 7 for soap at 10% before. It was a nice, hard bar, almost brittle as I recall (but I use a high % of hard fats). I almost always use 33% lye concentration and 2% superfat.
But some of these butters seem too nice to waste them in soap :)
Thanks. They are some nice butters but I have decided to only make 3 products and they will only work in my soaps and not the other 2.

In my main recipe, I use white Cocoa butter and Shea butter at 5% and 10%, respectively.
In my palm-free recipe for my face, I use them at 10% and 30%, respectively.
2:1 AVJ:lye ratio for both recipes.
I love the creaminess it brings.
I wanted my main recipe to be somewhat bubbly, so the percentages I'm using in that one are a little lower so it provides nice texture, but doesn't interfere too much with fluffy bubbles.
My facial soap doesn't have much fluffiness, but it has a rich, creamy lather.
My other percentages are typical for avocado, coconut, palm if I'm using it, and castor.

I use natural Shea and Cocoa Butters in my Regular Soap at 10% each, and Shea Butter in my GMS at 15%.

I have a pound of Mango Butter, but haven’t used it yet...maybe this weekend.

I have used Kokum Butter in Lotion Bars. Sometimes I use natural Cocoa Butter in my Lotion Bars, sometimes I used the refined because I want less ‘cocoa’ smell (the reason I have trying Kokum too).

Back