Business License

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

soapstar

Reaction score
I tried to get a license and was told that I could not get one due to zoning. I can only produce products in a commercial area and have a home office. I am NO where near the point that I would rent space.
Anyone run into this problem.
Thanks for your help....

No, I got mine no problem...they never even really asked much about the location/zoning...
Are you in the US or Canada?

I am in Canada. When I got my business licence, she asked me a few questions and that was that.

I know I would not be able to put a store sign out front of my house (I am assuming because it is a subdivision...but as far as I am concerned, I can make what I want here, and sell it...(online, at shows etc).

I am in Michigan and I got a business licence thru the state, they didn't ask me anything except for my money!

Just be careful with your homeowners insurance, it will be voided if you have a claim related to running a business in your home.

breaththenatural, one question. I'm in Canada too and would like to sell some soap in the future (farmers markets, craft shows) do I need some kind of a business licence in order to do that or do you only need it if you start selling wholesale?

Thanks

same here. i got around it by telling them that i was a reseller of soap.and that i kept alot of my stuff in a storage unit.

mare61 said:
breaththenatural, one question. I'm in Canada too and would like to sell some soap in the future (farmers markets, craft shows) do I need some kind of a business licence in order to do that or do you only need it if you start selling wholesale?

Thanks

I'm in Ontario and you really should register your business (i.e. get a business licence). It's a simple and relatively inexpensive process. I plan to sell my soaps the same way. I don't have a GST # yet, I believe that you don't need one until your sales reach $15,000/year. I hope this information helps

Latest posts

Back