Business Equipment - Holy Smokes!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

srenee

Reaction score
As I look at sites to try and determine what I need/want for my business I only wonder how in the world do folks afford some of this outrageously expensive equipment? Ive been in business for a little over 10 years. Slowly Ive been upscaling to a certain degree; large masterbatching recipes, etc. But September 2018 we lost everything to Hurricane Florence. And I mean everything! 3652sqft of home totally gutted and being practically rebuilt. As I sit here in my RV waiting on contractors to still complete repairs a year later; I keep planning and organizing ideas for my business. I once worked in a basement and now it floods. It got hit pretty hard by the storm. To repair it would take over $40,000. Not gonna happen. It took 9 months to fight the insurrance and the settlement wasnt going to fund the basement. So I have to build a workshop out back. Ok so that may be a little more feasible. But then I look at equipment that I would love to have to upscale and my heart sinks. Ok so maybe I dont have to have the biggest but going larger so I can see profits is what I have to do. Im looking at a Cougar filling pump for candles and lotions sticks, larger wax melters, larger lye tanks, pot tipper, air compressed soap cutter for larger blocks,... One can go crazy looking at this stuff! And of course I have to live on the East coast by all the water. People dont make soap here they go boating...lol In other words little to no suppliers here. How in the world do you do it? I am thinking of maybe finding a grant to help with startup costs. Ive gone to used restaurant equipment stores (most are really not used...lol just been in inventory for a long while), looking at auctions. What ideas, comical encouragement can you offer? Really need the boost.

That is why I like the small batches. Small biz seems to be easier for me but I hear you on some of the prices.
Try and see if there is another industry that may have equipment similar for what you are looking for. It may be cheaper.
Because of the soap industry is small for small Biz the 'special' equipment is $$$

If I was going to go that big, I'd make sure I had a brick & mortar, otherwise the expense would just be too great. I know a lot of soapmakers that make hundreds, if not thousands of soaps a month, but still only have what some would consider "small production" equipment and they manage just fine.

Thank you. Dont need a brick and mortar because we live on a busy highway. One of the rooms I had in my home had a seperate entrance and I used that as my store. Now that's being rebuilt as well. Eventually Id like to have a couple wholesale accounts locally. That's the long range goal. We live in Jacksonville, NC. Everything here is catered to the military and the tourists going to the beach.

Is your presence as a soap/candle maker still established or have you been out of the game while you've been dealing with your home? I am so sorry to hear this has happened to you, it must be rough for your life itself dealing with all this. I might approach this a bit different if it happened to me - I would make sure that I still have a presence first, which means making small batches to get started and build the customer base again. Once the customer base is there, the money should be there and you can start upscaling one piece of equipment at a time. Do it in a way that is profitable so that your business is not starting in debt. If you haven't read Business Boutique by Christy Wright (I think is her name) I suggest reading it. I found it a helpful read a few years ago when I was starting to make emotional decisions rather than practical decisions for my business - which with your house situation maybe where you're at. (Probably hard to hear, and I'm sorry if I come off as a jerk for saying it, I don't mean to be "one of those nay-sayers".)

I made 9 bar batches (and still mostly do) for my business for two years, and even though my husband makes my molds, it was hard for me to make the decision to have him build me an 18 bar mold. It's so scary to have "that much" soap sitting around, so I have to make sure that it really is something my customers want and will sell. So I really suggest to get your feet under you if you've been out of selling for awhile.

WOW that is too bad, I hope you get back on your feet soon. Good luck
Thank you. Oh man has it been frustrating. From dealing with mortgage companies insurance Public Adjusters fraudulent contractors new contract the whole thing has just been one Fiasco. But the whole family's learning about living simple and keeping integrity. We'll get through this it's just going to be a little slower than we anticipated.

Is your presence as a soap/candle maker still established or have you been out of the game while you've been dealing with your home? I am so sorry to hear this has happened to you, it must be rough for your life itself dealing with all this. I might approach this a bit different if it happened to me - I would make sure that I still have a presence first, which means making small batches to get started and build the customer base again. Once the customer base is there, the money should be there and you can start upscaling one piece of equipment at a time. Do it in a way that is profitable so that your business is not starting in debt. If you haven't read Business Boutique by Christy Wright (I think is her name) I suggest reading it. I found it a helpful read a few years ago when I was starting to make emotional decisions rather than practical decisions for my business - which with your house situation maybe where you're at. (Probably hard to hear, and I'm sorry if I come off as a jerk for saying it, I don't mean to be "one of those nay-sayers".)

I made 9 bar batches (and still mostly do) for my business for two years, and even though my husband makes my molds, it was hard for me to make the decision to have him build me an 18 bar mold. It's so scary to have "that much" soap sitting around, so I have to make sure that it really is something my customers want and will sell. So I really suggest to get your feet under you if you've been out of selling for awhile.
Thank you those are all good advice. We actually lost everything all clothing Furniture equipment piano and the list goes on. Then we had to leave in a hotel for 8 months after the hotel we finally received an RV. In the meantime the house was totally gutted all walls taken down flooring Electrical Plumbing HVAC. So there was no where to set up. And it is very difficult in the RV to try to do this. So I just put it on hold temporarily until I can try to get this Workshop built in the backyard. Everywhere I go Walmart a grocery store or anywhere I run into old customers asking where are my soaps where are you. So at least I know they are there waiting I just hope I don't lose them in the process.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back