Burnt M&P issues.

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Craftyhands

Reaction score
I used Stephenson’s Crystal Goat Milk today for the first time and the following happened: 1. Had the most difficult time getting it to melt and used microwave burst as instructed with a infared thermometer. Finally got it to 145 degrees and stirred and stirred, hoping to get the small chunks to finish melting. 2. Got it down to 135 degrees but then it turned gloppy and gummy, no discoloration. I have been making M&P soap for about six months so I am new to it.
In short, I guess I burn the soap base and my question is: is this burned soap still useable? There is no FO, EO or coloring in it. Appreciate any advice.

For the short time I was making M&P whenever I used a microwave I would frequently have the gloppy issues. When I switched to using a double boiler the problem went away. I often still poured even when the soap had glopppines (not a real word, lol) and it still turned out fine. M&P is tough! I have also cut Up and remelted batches that I wasn’t happy with in the double boiler and they turned out fine. Try to make sure your chunks are small and consistent in size.

Not sure if it is burnt, it’s still very white and hardened now. Can this soap be used again to make a new soap?

I would certainly give it a try before throwing it away. I use 30 second bursts in the microwave.

I used Stephenson’s Crystal Goat Milk today for the first time and the following happened: 1. Had the most difficult time getting it to melt and used microwave burst as instructed with a infared thermometer. Finally got it to 145 degrees and stirred and stirred, hoping to get the small chunks to finish melting. 2. Got it down to 135 degrees but then it turned gloppy and gummy, no discoloration. I have been making M&P soap for about six months so I am new to it.
In short, I guess I burn the soap base and my question is: is this burned soap still useable? There is no FO, EO or coloring in it. Appreciate any advice.
This is one of the reasons I don't like the Stephenson's bases. They have a high melt point and cool off and get gloppy quickly. The base can be melted and I agree with using a double boiler.

Back