Burned my soap pot

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dibbles

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was using my stainless steel pot with a canning jar ring as makeshift double boiler. There are burn marks on the bottom of the pot. A steel wool pad doesn't remove them and I think it is burned into the surface. Is it still safe to use to make soap?

IMG_20161028_130348924.jpg

Do you have any Bar Keeper's Friend on hand? It's a fine cleansing powder usually stocked in the cleaning products aisle at any grocery store. It gets stains like that out in a jiffy. I use it whenever steel wool fails to do the job. Works like magic to make your stainless pots look brand new, and without much scrubbing. Use gloves when you use it, though.

IrishLass :)

Also, Bon Ami can work well with pots and pans. It is a little less abrasive than BKF, if that matters.

Scooter

You can try letting it soak in hot soapy water for about 30 minutes. Then put on a paste of baking soda and let sit for 10 minutes. Scrub with a magic eraser. That works on a lot of my pan problems. Good luck!

Also, I'm going to try Bar Keeper's Friend!

The baking soda didn't work. So I searched again, because I knew I had to have Bar Keeper's Friend in the house. Found that and Bon Ami both - where they don't belong (blaming DH for that one). And the Bar Keeper's Friend worked!!

I was just concerned that I may have damaged the surface and whatever the stainless is bonded to was exposed which might have a bad reaction with soap batter.

So, thanks for all the suggestions. All is well in my soapy world again.

The baking soda didn't work. So I searched again, because I knew I had to have Bar Keeper's Friend in the house. Found that and Bon Ami both - where they don't belong (blaming DH for that one). And the Bar Keeper's Friend worked!!

I was just concerned that I may have damaged the surface and whatever the stainless is bonded to was exposed which might have a bad reaction with soap batter.

So, thanks for all the suggestions. All is well in my soapy world again.

Bar Keeper's Friend is going on my shopping list!

Your pot surface is most likely all stainless steel. If you are nervous, you can use lye to find out. Just make a small amount of about 10% lye and put it in the pot and let it sit for about an hour. If you have layers of aluminum that were exposed, they will react and you will see it. If not, you'll have the cleanest SS pot ever. NaOH is used to wash and sterilize SS containers.

the Bar Keeper's Friend worked!!

Yay! I had the utmost confidence that it would! I learned about Bar Keeper's Friend from my grandma. She always kept some on hand for her Revereware stainless cookware. In spite of her Revereware being decades old and used/abused everyday, it always looked sparkling and brand new.

Anyway, I got my own first-hand taste of its worth one day when I burnt one of my stainless pots something awful. I was pretty darn certain it was burnt beyond all hope and that I would need to toss it, but as a last resort I tried the Bar Keeper's Friend and I could hardly believe my eyes. Long short- it saved my pot, and if you were to see that same pot today, you would never guess in a thousand years that it was once almost ruined. It looks like a new/barely used pot, but I use it quite often.

IrishLass :)

The marks from the canning rings look like they may be rust stains. Bar Keeper's Friend has oxalic acid in it and that works to remove rust stains. Make a paste of it (or any other oxalic acid product such as Zud) and let the paste sit on the stain for a bit before scrubbing. Bon Ami doesn't have oxalic acid.

Back