burlap and jute in CP soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No, he does not. His home smithy (the workshop of a blacksmith) & all his equipment has been held hostage by one of the huge California wildfires, as was the location where he works, doing historical blacksmithing demos.

The fire is about 93% contained now and has not touched his house, but completely destroyed 2 houses just down the hill from his (2 doors down, in fact) and severely damaged a couple others as well. They have not returned home so far and I don't blame them. For me it would be so demoralizing to see the devastation; I don't know if I could handle the restoration that they are going to have to face due to smoke and water damage. And just to witness the overall devastation when they return; it would throw me into depression, I am sure. It's going to be so hard for so many people there.

But up until the fire, he has managed good humor in the midst of CoVid. Here's one of his recent creations:

View attachment 49632
That is a beautiful piece.

No, he does not. His home smithy (the workshop of a blacksmith) & all his equipment has been held hostage by one of the huge California wildfires, as was the location where he works, doing historical blacksmithing demos.

The fire is about 93% contained now and has not touched his house, but completely destroyed 2 houses just down the hill from his (2 doors down, in fact) and severely damaged a couple others as well. They have not returned home so far and I don't blame them. For me it would be so demoralizing to see the devastation; I don't know if I could handle the restoration that they are going to have to face due to smoke and water damage. And just to witness the overall devastation when they return; it would throw me into depression, I am sure. It's going to be so hard for so many people there.

But up until the fire, he has managed good humor in the midst of CoVid. Here's one of his recent creations:

View attachment 49632
Oh I like that! Is it supposed to be like one of those floating mines in the water?
Yes, there is so much devastation going on right now in the US alone. If it's not on fire it's under water, and if it's not under water it's Covid, and if it's not Covid it's politics, which is worse than any disease! 2020 has been a trash fire of a year- I'm ready for it to be over and done with! Praying for the safety of your brother and his family and home.

I’ve just been given some home grown loofahs by a friend. They’re too narrow for the slices to fit a regular 3” round mold. I’m looking for ideas on how to use them Grinding or shredding sounds interesting. Anyone actually done the grinding/shredding? How did you go about that part?

Anyone actually done the grinding/shredding? How did you go about that part?
You can cut them lengthwise and use as a dishcloth. I have a loofah soap bar- it's several years old. The reason it has lasted so long is that it is VERY rough on skin. However, the more you use it the softer it gets, so after using it for dishes for a while I'd imagine it wouldnmake a nice washcloth. Though I'd be worried about food being stuck in it...
As for grinding, I'd take a well-dried loofah and cut into small pieces (remove seeds if there is any) then pulse in a food processor. Get rid of any super fine stuff and use the bigger particles. IMO it is a nice thought in theory to use the loofah for soap, but like I already mentioned it is too scrubby and rough for my liking. Maybe use for elbows and feet though. Or for a big manly man who likes very scrubby things?

You can cut them lengthwise and use as a dishcloth. I have a loofah soap bar- it's several years old. The reason it has lasted so long is that it is VERY rough on skin. However, the more you use it the softer it gets, so after using it for dishes for a while I'd imagine it wouldnmake a nice washcloth. Though I'd be worried about food being stuck in it...
As for grinding, I'd take a well-dried loofah and cut into small pieces (remove seeds if there is any) then pulse in a food processor. Get rid of any super fine stuff and use the bigger particles. IMO it is a nice thought in theory to use the loofah for soap, but like I already mentioned it is too scrubby and rough for my liking. Maybe use for elbows and feet though. Or for a big manly man who likes very scrubby things?

Wow, I would have never thought of that. I bought some then never used it, for various reasons. I may just go the dish sponge route.

I’ve just been given some home grown loofahs by a friend. They’re too narrow for the slices to fit a regular 3” round mold. I’m looking for ideas on how to use them Grinding or shredding sounds interesting. Anyone actually done the grinding/shredding? How did you go about that part?

You can suspend one long skinny loufah from a skewer or a chop stick through the top, dangling down inside your circular soap mold. Then pour your soap around it. Once out of the mold, cut as you do your other round soaps.

Were you going to use CP soap for the loufah or MP? If CP, I suspect the batter should be at the thinnest trace, in order for the soap to soak into the lougah completely. And I'd probably tap the mold a few times between pouring, to make sure it gets in all the little loofah air-holes, and pour again each time it settles.

Latest posts

Back