Bulk Talc Source?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lngrid

Reaction score
Years ago a soaper here talked about SoapGoods as being a fantastic source for soapers. She was right. I've been getting bulk talc from them for ten years now. But suddenly they won't sell in lots of less than fifty pounds, far more than I can store or deal with at once. Does anyone know of another reasonably-priced source of bulk talc? I'd be so grateful for the help.

And now, off to the soap thread (erm, the photo gallery, and yes, I did say "soap ," because it makes me drool and want to spend all my money)...

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, when you talk bulk then it generally is a lot of product. I buy bulk oils/butters in 25-50 lbs. How much are you looking for? New Directions Aromatic carries it in 2.5 lbs or 50 lbs.

Shunt and lsg, those are wonderful recommendations. Thank you. And thanks to the patient admin who moved my post here. 2 + 2 didn't calculate and I didn't realize THIS would be the appropriate thread for this post.

Is int talk a cancergenic ... why not cornstarch :)

Natural (mined) talc deposits can occur near asbestos deposits.
After concerns were raised in the 1960s about impurities, laws were passed to ensure that talc was asbestos free (1973 here, not sure what year where you are), so modern talc does not contain asbestos.

There is some debate whether talc can lead to inflammation (and whether that inflammatory response can end up being cancerous), but it is generally regarded as safe (with some recommending to avoid using it on the genitals).

Talc is made from Magnesium triscilicate, which is not listed by the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services as a carcinogen.

See link to 14th Report on on Carcinogens: https://ntp.niehs.nih.gov/pubhealth/roc/index-1.ht
U.S. Department of Health and Human Services released the 14th Report on Carcinogens on November 3, 2016. The Report on Carcinogens is a congressionally mandated, science-based, public health document that NTP prepares for the HHS Secretary. This cumulative report currently includes 248 listings of agents, substances, mixtures, and exposure circumstances that are known or reasonably anticipated to cause cancer in humans.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back