Bulk lotion suppliers

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CTAnton

Reaction score
Over the months I've noticed how many suppliers there are of bulk lotions.Even SFIC sells 5 gallon buckets .With that said, does anyone have a supplier that they feel is a cut above the rest? I bought some samples from MMS and I liked them...I just didn't feel they were anything too special. I bought one at a farmers market today with goat milk and honey in it that I liked, with a lot of oils in it that looked good,as well as a minimum of additives. Any clues where I might direct my search? Just a hint I had that this is possibly not something she's custom making...she's dyeing her 100% natural beeswax candles.That was my hint...

Lotion with milk and honey are notorious for failing the preservation. I hope you got the one which is preserved well. Why don't you make your own? Lotions are pretty easy to make. you can find the instruction and simple lotion on Swiftmonkey.com

I compared her ingredient list with what wholesale supplies plus offers...abyssinian oil is listed in her formulation.What's not listed is any sort of preservative...

I compared her ingredient list with what wholesale supplies plus offers...abyssinian oil is listed in her formulation.What's not listed is any sort of preservative...

Some companies make their bulk lotion fairly "generic", with the intention that you'll add your own ingredients. They'll give you the percentage of ingredients that you can add safely for the amount of preservative their lotion contains.

sorry I screwed up on my last post...no preservatives are listed on her label...

Yikes, I'd silkwood shower that stuff off of me.

Hopefully she just doesn't know how to label and actually put in proper preservatives. There are well known places that "hide" their preservatives in their "fragrance" so they don't list it separately.

<climbs on soap box>

Why the heck are people afraid of preservatives? Is it the long "scary" sounding chemical names? Are they worried about being reincarnated as a bacteria? Do they want to hasten coming back as a bacteria? Jeepers folks, infections are BAD. Preservatives are GOOD. Why don't people get that? Why are they afraid to list the one thing on their products that proves it is a safe product? Argh...

<hops off of soapbox>

Seriously though, lotion isn't all that hard to make. The Lotion Making 101 ebook available from Swift Crafty Monkey is a great resource with fool-proof recipes. You can also just peruse her site.

I refuse to buy any gm lotions from markets. For that matter I refuse to spread goat's milk on me. Yucky LOL, can you tell I do not like the idea of milk in lotion, gross, yucky yuck. Granted it should be heated and held but to my mind it is still milk. I just envision spoiled stinky milk... I absolutely would not use one with no preservative listed. When I get customers that complain about less than 1% preservative I ask them if they would rather smear who knows what kind of bacteria on their skin. Usually changes the thinking quite quickly.

As to your original question I really do not know who has the better base. As mentioned it is not really hard to make your own.

I make many lotions actually right now I have 4 facial lotions, two body butters (thicker lotion) hand cream, scrubs and excetera, none of them is with milk . Like cmzaha I do not like spreading dairy on me, Soap is different story.
Like Carolyn I talk to my customer and they are easy to convince usually, i use every product I make and I just ask them "do you think I would risk my family health? "

Latest posts

Back