Bulk KOH & NaOH purchases & storage ideas

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Clumping of the lye granules is the first sign of moisture collection. And, yep, humid locations in the south hold MUCH promise to cause clumping faster than drier locations. And no boiling water for tea while soaping!

I get some clumping, I wonder if that is the new norm? B/c moisture in the air is permanent, some places have more then others; the clumping I get I can easily smash the clumps down. Does this moisture in the lye decrease the lye's effectiveness?

I get some clumping, I wonder if that is the new norm? B/c moisture in the air is permanent, some places have more then others; the clumping I get I can easily smash the clumps down. Does this moisture in the lye decrease the lye's effectiveness?

Yes, it really does, as Craig pointed out. You are going to be weighing water as well as NaOH/KOH once it starts absorbing moisture. I weigh my containers after I weigh out what I need, and write it on the bag the lye is stored in. Then I weigh it right before pouring the next time. The difference is water weight that I can then calculate the amount I weigh out for that next batch.

Awesome, Susie. I was going to suggest tracking the moisture over time by logging lye amounts left in the container after every use. I suppose a little clumping /water gain is the equivalent of superfatting since the lye is less active once it gains moisture.

Latest posts

Back