Bulk Apothecary

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Badger

Reaction score
I am looking for a place to buy lye for a reasonable price and so far, I have come up with Bulk Apothecary. I am trying to figure in the price of shipping with orders as well, and I seem to be able to get a reasonable deal here. Does anyone else have a suggestion on other places to buy lye either online or locally to Western or Central Mass?

I have read some questionable posts from some people on the forum regarding Bulk Apothecary, but I did not have a problem with the order that I did put in with them for some pigments. Does anyone have opinions or dealings with them in purchasing lye? Or other dealings I should know about? Thank you in advance :)

amazon has good deals on Essentials Depot products and I hear great things about the lye guy. thelyeguy.com

I checked out the lye guy and Essential Depot on amazon and because of shipping they would both be more expensive then Bulk apothecary. I am not sure if there is a reason to not go through BA or not. I just know that because of distance and shipping costs, BB is not much of an option for me.

How much is the shipping on Bulk Apothecary? On amazon if you buy 10lb they give you $15 off so that almost covers shipping.

At BA it is about $12 for 8 lbs of lye and $13 for shipping, so between $25-26 for 8 lbs. Amazon is $25 for 10 lbs and $24 for shipping -$15, so about $34.

Checkout Essential Depot on their website, not through Amazon. (essentialdepot.com) I was on their site today and they are advertising a 20% off domestic shipping discount on all orders under 150 lbs. Maybe try figuring that out against Bulk Apothecary. Somtimes if you you go directly to Essential Depot's site they may also have some items, even lye listed with free shipping. That varies. Good luck finding what you need!

Hmmm, with the present deals at Essential Depot, it is about $28 for 8 lbs of lye plus a $3 discount if I leave a review on their site, so $25.

I order lots of stuff from Bulk Apothecary and the more you add you get a really good deal on shipping! I ordered about 30 lbs or so of oils and decided to throw in the 8 lbs. of lye...shipping only went up a dollar something.

Very nice! I might check them out again and do more comparisons. I have been happy with ED and WSP, but I am willing to check BA and see how they are. How fast is their process time?

Not terribly long. I think about 4 business days or so for a friend of mine to receive her order. Now, she didn't order lye so that may have to go a different route due to HAZMAT issues.

Thank you Vanessa. I might try them out next month. I think I ordered something from them last month, but I don't remember what it was now :Kitten Love: I think I have been ordering too much soap stuff lately... is there such thing as too much?

I am looking for a place to buy lye for a reasonable price and so far, I have come up with Bulk Apothecary. I am trying to figure in the price of shipping with orders as well, and I seem to be able to get a reasonable deal here. Does anyone else have a suggestion on other places to buy lye either online or locally to Western or Central Mass?

I have read some questionable posts from some people on the forum regarding Bulk Apothecary, but I did not have a problem with the order that I did put in with them for some pigments. Does anyone have opinions or dealings with them in purchasing lye? Or other dealings I should know about? Thank you in advance :)

I actually did see lye on the shelf at Lowe's in Worcester, but it was wicked expensive. I get lye from the Lye Guy online. Reasonable price. He's in Upstate NY, so shipping is fast to MA.

https://www.thelyeguy.com/store.php

Thanks, Dana. I am in Worcester on a regular basis, so I might check it out. I bought 8 lbs when I ordered it from ED, so I have enough lye for a little while ;-) I will check out shipping costs at Lye Guy also, there website seemed to be leading me to ED before...

Very nice! I might check them out again and do more comparisons. I have been happy with ED and WSP, but I am willing to check BA and see how they are. How fast is their process time?

Funny you should ask :twisted:

The first order I placed was shipped the very next day but this time I placed it on the 7th and it's still not shipped......boo.

My sister ordered from them last month & it took 2 weeks for it to be sent out and then when she got the package there were some things not in there because they were on back order. But they didn't contact her before it shipped to tell her that any of her order was on back order & that she'd have to wait longer for the other stuff.

I was going to order some lye from them but thinking of staying with ed. They have some good prices on the butters but i can't wait two weeks for them to ship stuff. They need to get their act together.

I placed an order on 3/27, it shipped 3/29

I did notice they were having a free S&H promo for Easter when you spend x amount--- the Lye price is higher today, guessing because of the promo.

My order got here in about a week and a half due to the weekend and no ups delivery. Im just impatient. Dont forget about the 10% off at BA....I don't know if they still have it but they have for like 2 months...

Latest posts

Back