Bulk Apothecary scent issue

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Billthesoapguy

Reaction score
I just received a 25Lb shipment of Sandalwood Bourbon 2 weeks ago, and have been using it in my soap. The scent is not as strong as it has been in the past? Has anyone else experienced this with BA scents? I am worried that they are diluting their products.....and the 25Lb is not cheap!

I have contacted BA, but so far, no response. has anyone else experienced this? Is there a good alternative to BA for this scent? Any guidance would be greatly appreciated!!

thanks,
Bill

As a quick update, it seems BA is not longer taking phone calls to their 800 number. Also, they are not responding to emails regarding this issue. This seems like a very large company, but their actions don’t seem like they are very big.

in any event, I am disappointed, and also thinking I will not use them again. I hope they at least return my emails!

I only purchased from them one time and found their customer service to be lousy. No, it is not cheap and I hope you get it resolved. It really hurts to put out that much money and find the product has changed.

Did you check to make sure they sent you the body safe fo? According to the site they carry non-body safe also.

Last edited:
I have bought from BA before, and have found that they are good for some things but not for others. Was wanting to make lip balm in smores flavor and found that it did smell like smores but had no flavoring at all. tried to contact them about this issue and got nothing. Wrote a review for the flavoring(negative),and they never published the review. I have noticed that the reviews that they publish on their web site are all five star and singing their praises.

I started my hobby with BB. I used them for the first 2 years of my hobby. At that time, I found their shipping to be crazy high (but their product prices were competitive), their shipping was inexcusably SLOW, and customer service was meh.

I started a quest to find an alternative to them. Eight vendors, 200 fragrance samples, and almost 2 years later, I've found my suppliers.

For fragrances, I mostly use Candle Science and Micas and More.

FYI:. BB did a restructure a couple of years ago. Now their shipping is better priced, but their product prices went up to compensate.

Just a quick update on my post.

I am not impressed with BA. They did not handle the situation well ( really, they did not handle it at all). I used most of the 25 lb I purchased from them, but the scent was very weak in my HP soap.

I did some research, and found out that Lebermuth’s makes this scent, not BA. I went to Lebermuth’s, and ordered 25 lbs of the same scent from them.....for 1/2 the price!

the scent is much stronger from Lebermuth’s.....and the scent stays in my HP soap much, much better! I think BA diluted the scent they sent me, and still charged my 900 bucks for what Lebermuth’s charged me 400 for!!

yep, I am no longer a BA customer.....

I am not impressed with BA. They did not handle the situation well ( really, they did not handle it at all). I used most of the 25 lb I purchased from them, but the scent was very weak in my HP soap.

I did some research, and found out that Lebermuth’s makes this scent, not BA. I went to Lebermuth’s, and ordered 25 lbs of the same scent from them.....for 1/2 the price!

the scent is much stronger from Lebermuth’s.....and the scent stays in my HP soap much, much better! I think BA diluted the scent they sent me, and still charged my 900 bucks for what Lebermuth’s charged me 400 for!!

WHOA!!! Some nerve they have! That alone makes me DONE with BA. Thank you for posting that!!

Lebermuth’s minimum order is $500? I am not sure how many people are moving that much product on this site, but I know I probably won’t be seeing that anytime soon.

How did you find out Lebermuth made the BA scent? What kind of research did you do and where did you look? I often wonder whether vendors like BA and CandleScience get their fragrances from the same place but I have no idea how to find that out.

I ordered samples of several of the Leb fragrances, and compared to what I already had. Once I realized they made the scent ( and a couple of other scents that I used from BA, I talked to the sales person, and just asked if they supplied these scents to BA.

the answer was yes, and they are the actual creators of the scents. The price was less than 1/2 of BA!

the downside is that you have to order 25lbs of some of the scents......so if you are not making lots of batches of soap....well.....that is a lot of a single FO 😂.

hope that helps....

I ordered samples of several of the Leb fragrances, and compared to what I already had. Once I realized they made the scent ( and a couple of other scents that I used from BA, I talked to the sales person, and just asked if they supplied these scents to BA.

the answer was yes, and they are the actual creators of the scents. The price was less than 1/2 of BA!

the downside is that you have to order 25lbs of some of the scents......so if you are not making lots of batches of soap....well.....that is a lot of a single FO 😂.

hope that helps....
From what I see, most FO's can be purchased in 1 and 5 lb including Sandalwood Bourbon HRC, but you have to make a $500 min purchase.

hope that helps....
Yes, way more than I would need. Thanks for the info.

Some FO can be ordered in 1 or 5 lb increments. Some can only be ordered in 25Lb.....I think it depends on the FO, and how much they sell of each? I know for another FO I ordered from them, the min was 25 lb.....but I use a lot of that one as well, so I did not mind.

yes, the min order is $500.....but they seem to have great FO! I am really liking them.

Update. i am half way through my 25 lb of leb that I ordered, and the scent is great in my soap. I will only be buying this scent from them directly going forward. No more BA for me!!!

Update. i am half way through my 25 lb of leb that I ordered, and the scent is great in my soap. I will only be buying this scent from them directly going forward. No more BA for me!!!
I occasionally buy Shea butter from them, but I am done buying their fragrances, because they don’t display vanillin content or usage rate %, and also block reviews they could speak of the fragrance accelerating. I learned this because when I left reviews on fragrances that didn’t behave in cp soap, my reviews didn’t get published. But when I modified the wording of my review to start with positive things about that same fragrance and sneaked in that you have to work fast, then it got published. It made me lose my trust in them; because my first reviews weren’t hateful, just telling my experience of what happened with my recipe.

Latest posts

Back