Bulk Apothecary Rant

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kim Graham

Reaction score
I placed an order on July 17th and received part of my order on August 4th. I've asked them numerous times to update that their orders are taking this long to process as reputable wholesale supply companies are doing to no avail. After inquiring about where the remainder of my order was in the process, I was notified that the rest of the order had been cancelled due to being out of stock. We are a small company and are able to keep up with our stock by hand and I'm positive that a company the size of Bulk Apothecary has an automated system. Then, they refunded me for the jars minus the over 250 discount but did not include any of the $48.00 of shipping I paid. The customer service agent was advised to tell me that shipping 50 8 oz jars with lids and packaging would not have changed the shipping amount and that is why we weren't refunded a portion of the shipping. This is a complete lie. They probably looked at if they had to ship the jars to me after the initial order that the costs would outweigh the benefit. But guess what, we take losses as business owners all the time! Please avoid this company at all costs. We are a long time customer and are looking for alternatives even if it means paying more.

I say all that to say, they operate their business like a pop up instagram shop with no capital. It's so strange to me. I usually take Better Business Bureau scores with a grain of salt, but JEEZ Louise. I went and searched under indeed to look at prior employees' complaints and the biggest complaint was them selling stock they did not have. I think the thing that is most alarming for me is them being more than willing to pull funds from my credit card without knowing they have items in stock. Their model is successful but strange nonetheless. I'm thankful that we share a supplier of jars and I was just buying them as an add on just in case.

I am sorry that you had to deal with that. That is just craziness! I avoid them because of that exact additude. I buy from Wholesale Supplies Plus which has free shipping with a $25.00 order. However, they do charge a processing fee of around $6.00.

I also love Nature's Garden for supplies. while the do not have free shipping, they ship quickly and have wonderful products and customer service.

They make a few fragrance oils that I like but their business model is infuriating. They took forever to restock before the pandemic and now it’s even worse. They don’t test their fragrances and I’m convinced that they screen and filter their fragrance reviews.

I LOVE Wholesale Supplies Plus! I don't mind the 6.00 fee at all. I also use Nature's Garden. I think what really put me over the edge about them was a weird random review I found that they did of a competitor! It gave me the willies and I asked them to take it down. The company is super small and I was so bothered that they are one of the big guys and chose to name names like they did! I posted a copy below.

1597085549687.png

They make a few fragrance oils that I like but their business model is infuriating. They took forever to restock before the pandemic and now it’s even worse. They don’t test their fragrances and I’m convinced that they screen and filter their fragrance reviews.

I agree! I also notice there are very few comments on their social media pages. We sent a product of ours to be tested at a lab with one of their fragrance oils and the results weren't that great.

Just want to add that I have had 2 essential oils from Bulk Apothecary go rancid as well...but the thing is, it almost smells like they were "cut" with something. They smelled amazing when I initially opened - 7 months later and wham horrible terpentine like smell. Both were 16 oz containers. Thankfully I used the majority; however, I have saved the items for independent testing.

If you ever have a chance, visit the BA facility. Absolutely appalling, dirty, and super sketch.

I feel your pain exactly! I had the same thing happen to me with that company a few years ago with a very large order of essential oils. and it was a time sensitive order- I had called before I orderd to make sure they could be shipped in the time that Ineeded them. The agent assured me that they would. It was an over $4,000.00 order so I didn't think he would be anything but honest. NOPE! I recieved one of the 6 oils a week later and then nothing more for over a month. AND, the website said they were in stock the day I ordered. Then when I called they were suddenly on back order. BUT they still charged me!!! Who does that? In my experience you get charged when the item ships, not a month before!
LESSON LEARNED: I DO NOT SHOP AT BULK APOTHECARY
One thing you can do is go to pissedcustomer.com and leave a review. They try to settle the dispute for you. Just a thought.

Back