Bug sprays???

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mcleodnaturals

Reaction score
Just wondering how to get my essential oils to emulsify into my witch hazel in my bug spray!! Or am I going to just have to shake the crap out of it every time??

Also, any advice on EO combos for bug sprays? I have one that works awesome on my kids, but my mom swears it doesn't work on her. Curious if there are certain oils better for adults than kids?

thx!
:D

I rub dry patchouli soap all over myself to keep the chiggers away. Theoretically, when the biting flies get on the soap, they don't like it. So far so good. I like citronella, citrus (lemon/orange), cedar, and patchouli for keeping the bugs off. Any combination will work.

you can 'emulsify' your EOs w/ PS 80 & probably 60 too ...I use about a teaspoon for a 22 oz bottle of spray; you need to warm it up then add your EOs, then add that to the warm base ( in your case witch hazel) ...some additional good insecticidal EOs are lemongrass & geranium, lavender ...the ones mentioned above are good too - you can't beat cedar!

Eden!!! THank you! I was wondering how to emulsify! It seems to work okay just shaking the bottle, but I'm sure everyone won't shake it the same and therefore wouldn't get the same results from the product. I will definitely order some PS 80 with my next order!

thank you!!

digit said:
You can try catnip.
http://www.ag.iastate.edu/aginfo/news/2 ... atnip.html
http://www.av-at.com/catnip.html
It would make her popular with the kitties. :lol:

Digit

That's very very interesting! I just happen to have a catnip plant growing in my yard. I wonder if you could infuse olive oil with it and have the same effect? Although spraying an oil based repellent would stain clothes. hmmm... :? I'll have to think about this one for a while.

Can you infuse witch hazel!?!?

mcleodnaturals said:
Can you infuse witch hazel!?!?

If alcohol is not an issue, you could make a tincture.

As far as making a tea with witch hazel, I would check on the properties and note if heat would destroy it. I make catnip tea with water for myself. Then I allow the leaves to dry and give to the kitties who like it just fine. :D

Digit

digit said:
If alcohol is not an issue, you could make a tincture.

Digit

I'm making it more for kids, so I'm not sure if I would want them spraying alcohol on their skin...wouldn't it absorb into their system? I know back in the 'old days' people used to bring down a fever with rubbing alcohol and now that is a huge no-no because kids were getting poisoned from it...not sure if the same thing would apply with tincture alcohol or not? :?

mcleodnaturals said:
I'm making it more for kids, so I'm not sure if I would want them spraying alcohol on their skin...wouldn't it absorb into their system?

Hmmmm...little people can be different. I have an idea, but let me muse on it for awhile. :D

Digit

I'm making it more for kids, so I'm not sure if I would want them spraying alcohol on their skin...wouldn't it absorb into their system?

Is that a bad thing? lol
Just kidding!

mcleodnaturals said:
perfectsoap said:

Is that a bad thing? lol
Just kidding!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

To heck with bug spray...somedays I think I need a spray on SEDATIVE to calm the little munsters down!!
Hahahaha! You all make me giggle!

Why not mix it with aloe vera juice instead? And use polysorbate 20 to emulsify the two together.

Simply use equal parts fragrance/essential oil as you do the polysorbate 20 and blend with your aloe juice.

OHH, I actually have a system that mists my yard with cedar oil to keep all those buggers away. I just realized I should be making soap and other lotions with cedar oil as well! GEEZ, what was I thinking with 1/2 a gallon of cedar oil sitting here and not making any soap with it!! I'll have to figure some stuff out with it and see if the guys who maintain my cedar oil spray system could sell it!

where did you get a thing like that...ive never heard of that!?!? who built it and how does it work!?!?! awesome!!

Latest posts

Back