Bug bite salve

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
rosemary and oregano are in the same plant family
you might get similar effects from thyme, marjoram, basil, sage and savory

i was told, by someone who is the first person to get bitten in any group, that vinegar on the bite stops the itch
havent tried it yet but the internet experts say it works ;)

I've been told that if you make a paste with Accent or other meat tenderizer and a little water and put it on the bite, it helps.

I was able to make a batch a couple of weeks ago and have had a couple people try it out.
The response so far has been very good, but I think I'll add a bit more lavender next time.

For this batch I used equal amounts of Lavender, Peppermint, Rosemary, Tea Tree, and Lemongrass (2% each).
For the remaining 90% I used mango butter, bees wax, healing herb infused MCT oil and a little bentonite clay.

Using the lipstick tubes works great!

I've been told that if you make a paste with Accent or other meat tenderizer and a little water and put it on the bite, it helps.
The "Accent" sold in the USA is only monosodium glutamate (MSG) with no other added ingredients. I couldn't find anything about a meat tenderizer product made by Accent on their website, but I did find people on cooking blogs mentioning such a thing. I just can't find it anywhere. What is the product you are referring to? I guess what I really mean is, what is the ingredient that has this effect? MSG isn't a meat tenderizer, so I'm confused.

Well, they're both summer-related events, doesn't seem too unlikely they might happen together...

The second wave of the mosquito invasion has just begun a few days ago. They're everywhere now, I've killed at least six only today. (I'll spare you a photo of the remains of the one I squashed right onto my PC keyboard 😒).

For some reason they don't appear as hungry as usually – do they know that I have a secret weapon against itching in the reserve?

I just made a new larger batch (25 tubes) of my bug balm yesterday. It's doing a pretty good job of keeping away the creatures when I remember to keep it applied, and healing the result when I don't. :rolleyes:
Mum and husband also report that it is effective for soothing nettle stings.

information that mango butter has qualities on its own to relieve insect bite pains

“Mango Oil’s special anti-inflammatory and anti-allergy properties can calm insect bites and poison ivy rashes, reducing the itching and stinging.” – Organic Mango Kernel Oil Cold Pressed, UNREFINED | GARDEN OF ESSENCES

Not a very reputable source (no references, conflict of interest), but still.

My lipstick is nearly used up after a tiring season (at least I do sincerely hope there won't be another invasion further into the autumn). I have enjoyed using it. Smells great and the tea tree EO is not obtrusive. (I just have to take care to not subconsciously spoil the scent with the association of the negative insect bite experience!)
Pain relief was a mixed bag, some bites disappeared after one-time application, others went on itching for several days.

Oof, tbf, I haven't bothered (yet) to get to the ground of it. Provence-style purple pillows with zillions of bees buzzing around come to my mind – I have no incentive to glide my hands through them and smell (like I usually have with other aromatic plants like mint, thyme, sage, fennel, balm, or conifer trees). Lavender is the only botanical that gets a second bag around it in the herb stash. It might well be that I do injustice to it. But then, there are so many other scents to discover that one can get around lavender and still not be bored for a lifetime :rolleyes:.

Popular Mechanics recommended some soaps including Ditch the Itch. From the ingredients, I know the oils but not the ratios, and is the plantain extract useful. Would adding pine tar help? Any advice?

Popular Mechanics recommended some soaps including Ditch the Itch. From the ingredients, I know the oils but not the ratios, and is the plantain extract useful. Would adding pine tar help? Any advice?
IMHO I would think a nice oatmeal soap made with colloidal oats would work as well as what they're advertising. I do love tea tree and rosemary oils so wouldn't be against having those in the soap but not sure how much they really help with the small amount you would be adding.

I wouldn't bother with the plantain in a soap since you'll just wash it right off anyway. It is however great in salves and balms.

Interesting that Allantoin is the first ingredient listed in the itch cream and itch spray. Most of the herbs I use for healing salves/balms are high in allantoin and I add a bit extra as well.

Back