Buchu EO fixative

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GraceDarlingSoaps

Reaction score
Hi fellow soapers, We have an EO from South Africa called Buchu. A family member used to farm this and told me it was used in the perfume industry as a scent fixative. I have been using this recently in my CP soaps in very small amounts eg 5 to 10 drops ppo and my scents are definitely fading less eg citrus scents. Just thought I would share this but I don't know how easy it is to obtain outside South Africa. Even here it is very expensive relative to other EO's but a very small amount seems to be effective. Grace Darling Soaps

I've never heard of Buchu, it sound really interesting!

Sounds interesting, does yours smell strongly? The link below says it is very "black-currenty". Also some cautions about usage amounts. If they could figure out a way to extract the fixative properties, it would be awesome, and a great business opp for somebody! But I guess that is not the way it works with e.o.'s? Don't use them that much. The only fixatives I've seen discussed seem to have issues (benzoin/potential irritant, orris root/too expensive, etc.)

http://www.essentialoils.co.za/essential-oils/buchu.htm

Back